Are my neighbors attracting predators?

I think if his chickens aren't coming onto your property they therefore aren't bringing there new found predator friends onto your property so to each their own.
Do what you do to keep your chickens safe. Which you would do regardless of if they have chickens or not right?
I just don't see this as your place to say anything about how he's raising his birds. Free ranging isn't neglect or abuse.

I think if his chickens aren't coming onto your property they therefore aren't bringing there new found predator friends onto your property so to each their own.
Do what you do to keep your chickens safe. Which you would do regardless of if they have chickens or not right?
I just don't see this as your place to say anything about how he's raising his birds. Free ranging isn't neglect or abuse.
That was my initial feeling - when the chickens both alive and dead were not on my property. But now that a predator brought one of their dead chickens into my property to enjoy it, that’s where I feel like it might start to be my place. I do recognize that not everyone’s chickens are “pets,” but I suppose I thought that free-ranged chickens usually still had a safe place to sleep at night, or at least used predator savy breeds. We know they lost 3 chickens just last week, and that’s only the ones that were left behind on mine & the other neighbor’s property. 3/4 of their property is border by woods, so who knows how many more they’ve lost. I guess it just seems excessive. 🤷‍♀️

Ya but if a predator brought a chicken onto your property that means it was already using your property. Their dead chicken gives you a heads up on that.
I see your point but as long as he's providing easy meals your birds are even safer. When their chickens run out the predators may come to check out your place but i'd imagine they would either way.
If yours are secure they'll move on. I don't think it's like his birds are bringing in predators from far and wide and that they will eventually set up camp at your place and hang out from here on out.
My neighbor just a stones throw or so away does the same. Every now and again a flock of various poultry will show up and by fall they'll all have been taken.

Hi all. We have new neighbors that moved in a few months ago to a nearby house. I haven’t formally met them. (I’m not a people person. I live in the boondocks for a reason 😂).

Anyway, the new owners acquired some chickens recently, and according to the neighbor whose house is between me and the new folks, they don’t have a coop or run or anything to protect them. He also says he’s had to clean up the remains of 2 chickens that were killed and carried over onto his property. Today I found remains on my property in spite of the fact that their chickens don’t even come all the way over here to my property.

My chickens sleep in a secure coop (it’s fully enclosed inside the run, which is inside my fenced yard, and up against my house. But I know nothing is truly predator proof. We have foxes (the most likely culprit), hawks, owls, bears, coyotes, raccoons, etc…

Im curious if the predation of these chickens increases the risk of my chickens being attacked? Will these predators suddenly grow accustomed to chickens being a part of their regular diet? If so, is it appropriate for me to ask them to build a coop or run? I know that not everyone views their chickens as pets, but it also seems cruel to not give them at least a fighting chance.

Absolutely, yes this increases the risk of yours being attacked. The predators are quickly learning that there is a buffet 2 doors down, and that will only draw more predators and a widening of the target zone (soon to include your place).

It's worth your time to meet the new neighbor. Try to find out what their plans are for their chickens (and other animals) and what security measures they plan to take. You might share that you're seeing increasing signs of predator attacks on your yard now, something you're not accustomed to seeing.

Hope that helps, and good luck!

I wouldn't want to eat a fox. The ones I caught were stinky and mangy. I was seeing this really pathetic one but haven't seen it in awhile so it may have expired.
View attachment 2786562
I don't eat anything that eats chickens too
Ya but if a predator brought a chicken onto your property that means it was already using your property. Their dead chicken gives you a heads up on that.
I see your point but as long as he's providing easy meals your birds are even safer. When their chickens run out the predators may come to check out your place but i'd imagine they would either way.
If yours are secure they'll move on. I don't think it's like his birds are bringing in predators from far and wide and that they will eventually set up camp at your place and hang out from here on out.
My neighbor just a stones throw or so away does the same. Every now and again a flock of various poultry will show up and by fall they'll all have been taken.
My chickens are secured in pens but my neighbors are like your neighbors .Predators visit us both but they can always count on getting an easy meal over his place.I feel bad for his chickens.

Last edited:
Hi all. We have new neighbors that moved in a few months ago to a nearby house. I haven’t formally met them. (I’m not a people person. I live in the boondocks for a reason 😂).

Anyway, the new owners acquired some chickens recently, and according to the neighbor whose house is between me and the new folks, they don’t have a coop or run or anything to protect them. He also says he’s had to clean up the remains of 2 chickens that were killed and carried over onto his property. Today I found remains on my property in spite of the fact that their chickens don’t even come all the way over here to my property.

My chickens sleep in a secure coop (it’s fully enclosed inside the run, which is inside my fenced yard, and up against my house. But I know nothing is truly predator proof. We have foxes (the most likely culprit), hawks, owls, bears, coyotes, raccoons, etc…

Im curious if the predation of these chickens increases the risk of my chickens being attacked? Will these predators suddenly grow accustomed to chickens being a part of their regular diet? If so, is it appropriate for me to ask them to build a coop or run? I know that not everyone views their chickens as pets, but it also seems cruel to not give them at least a fighting chance.
I seriously love your byc name! 🤣

Living out here in the country I find it best to leave others be even if they are stupid, chances are they won’t change, and besides I don’t like people telling me what to do on my 5 acres so they probably wouldn’t appreciate it either.
maybe all the critters will leave your chickens be if they have easy meals down the road?

Living out here in the country I find it best to leave others be even if they are stupid, chances are they won’t change, and besides I don’t like people telling me what to do on my 5 acres so they probably wouldn’t appreciate it either.
maybe all the critters will leave your chickens be if they have easy meals down the road?
Exactly! My cameras doesn't show I have any predators but my neighbor across the street has plenty. His chickens jump a short fence with no top and run all over the neighborhood.

We have hawks, eagles, raccoons, opossums, skunks, and possibly coyotes in the area. My neighbor's chickens occasionally get out. My birds have a very secure coop and run.

She knows the chances she's taking. She has 30-36 chickens... she can spare a few. I know the chances I'm not willing to take. I have 7 chickens, and I want to keep them all.

So far, she's been lucky. I've been careful. She does it her way, I do it my way.

Back
Top Bottom