Are my pullet and cockerel maturing normally?

Purrl

Chirping
Aug 19, 2022
So had to give away three of my five original chicks (four of the batch were boys). This is sort of important to my question. My leftover boy (Spot) and girl (Sylvia) were on their own for about six weeks while a new batch of chicks were prepped. All are now coexisting well in a small flock, but...

The older two, both EE mixes, are just over six months old and perfectly healthy. By now I'd expect my pullet to be laying but she's not. The cockerel is crowing, absolutely gorgeous, but I keep expecting behavior changes and aside from an occasional "look at me!" dance he's the same as ever. Haven't noticed any attempts to mate, but not sure if that's relevant since most of the girls are too young still and Sylvia might be just be pushing him away. Based on what I've read, he should be all raging hormones and going nuts, but haven't noticed anything. He's a pretty mellow dude.

What I'm wondering is, since my pullet hit her laying age after the days started getting short, should I expect a long delay before she starts? And if the season is affecting her, could it also be delaying his maturity? Don't get me wrong, I'm over the moon that Spot is mellow and would love to think this is how he'll be (the rooster they came from isn't aggressive, so he has that going for him). None of the chickens are treated as pets, they're kept in a run, and aside from a daily treat session and regular care I pretty much leave them to lead their chicken lives.

I'm probably overthinking this, but still...

Haven't noticed any attempts to mate, but not sure if that's relevant since most of the girls are too young still and Sylvia might be just be pushing him away.
It's rare that a young cockerel doesn't start mating by 4 months old.
Just count your blessings.

What I'm wondering is, since my pullet hit her laying age after the days started getting short, should I expect a long delay before she starts?
Chances are she'll wait until the days start to lengthen and the increasing light stimulates her pineal gland to begin the hormones cascade that will produce a mature ovum.

Last edited:

Chances are she'll wait until the days start to lengthen and the increasing light stimulates her pineal gland to begin the hormones cascade that will produce a mature ovum.
Thank you! If I’m lucky she’ll start around the same time as the younger girls.

I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop on Spot. He was a nice chick, and he’s so mellow I keep wondering if there’s something wrong with him. He’s a beautiful boy, and he does like to show off, but I haven’t seen him bother any of the girls and they don’t try to avoid him so I’m happy!

Celebrate each day it works, have a plan B in case it doesn't work. Plan B should be set up and ready to go.

There are nice roosters...just not a lot of them. You might have gotten lucky.

Mrs K
Yeah, I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop. After re-homing most of my first batch I learned not to get too attached. He’s my favorite, and is a joy so far, but if it doesn’t work out my biggest problem will be finding a humane processor. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Back
Top Bottom