Are my silkies slow?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by zengrrl, Aug 9, 2011.

1. zengrrl

zengrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Oakland County, MI
    I know they can be a tad different than other chickens but they have zero interest in worms, bugs, stale bread or cabbage. I'm beginning to think they really are honking persian cats and not chickens at all. Though I do adore their maniacal laughter!

2. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

My silkies don't like cabbage either. I threw a few worms their way when I moved some landscape timbers, and they just backed away from them. They just grumbled and made funny chittering/chirping/complaining noises that I would give them such things! They do like fresh corn on the cobb, cucumbers, mostly the seeds inside, prefer the fresher bread. They will chase the butterflys around thou, and thats funny to watch those big puffy legs running. They do like do like stale ritz crackers thou. My other chickens.. They eat anything.

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    "Are my silkies slow?" Well they are indeed silkies-- no silky has ever been barnyard valedictorian. [​IMG]

4. so lucky

so lucky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2011
    SE Missouri
    [​IMG]

5. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

My silkies are pretty smart. They know to run from my 2 yr old. Thats smart enough for me.[​IMG]

6. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Now I know you need the 2 I have! They are quick to pick up just about anything and run with it. Worms, tiny fish, peas, blueberries, tomatoes. They can teach your kids a thing or two. Although I do think it behooves mine to be quick, those Isas are real witches that don't like to share with furry monsters!

7. chicken grandma

chicken grandma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2008
    west michigan
    I would love to adopt/buy a Silkie! I just have one little shy Belgium D'Uccle and she has been playing in the yard with the kids all Summer, but when school starts soon, I would love to have a second or third hen to join Bobbi in the run/coop. We have a heated coop and a safe fully covered run. Our hens get the VIP treatment! Please let me know (personal message) if anyone has a Silkie or bantam hen I could buy!

8. appychick

appychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    I goofed with raising my quad of spoiled rotten black silkies. I fed them fruit before I fed them veggies. Thereafter they thought they were poisoned everytime I put veggies on their plate ! Worse than kids ! But of everything I ever fed them, I swear they can hear me lift a kiwi & raise a fit until they get their share !

9. neVar

neVar Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Dundurn, Sask
    hey 2 of my four got gold stars this week one figured out to go to bed at night days before the rest of the chickens. and one figured out to go lay her eggs in the coop- OK not the nest box- but well they are silkies [​IMG]

10. appychick

appychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    neVar, Roughly how far from US border are you located ? I hadn't heard of your town......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by