Are my six-week-old chicks ready to move outside? (pix)

CAgrrl

Hatching
10 Years
Nov 23, 2009
Winters, CA
I'm raising my first batch of chickens, three EE sisters now six and a half weeks old, in northern CA. They look fully feathered to me (and they're working hard to destroy the big cardboard box where they've been living), but I'd like a more experienced opinion before I kick them out of the laundry room into their coop and run outside.

I took these photos today on their first visit to the new run. It was 65 degrees out, and they seemed quite comfortable, but it will get down as low as 40 at night at this time of year here. Will I need to heat the coop at night if I put them outside this week?

This is Cinnamon:
44909_cinnamon_six_weeks.jpg

Curry:
44909_curry_six_weeks.jpg

and Ginger, who's much smaller than the other two:
44909_ginger_six_weeks.jpg

Thanks for your help!
Sandra

They look good to me. If your coop is draft free and they can get up off the floor they will probably be fine on a 40 degree night, but for your peace of mind you might want a lamp at night for a week or two.

ETA: when my bantams have gotten cold in the winter they just huddle together in a nest bucket for warmth and they do just fine. As long as they have each other they do OK.

Last edited:
Are they still under a heat lamp in the house? If so, you may want to wean them off of that for a few days before putting them out or as was already suggested, keep offering a heat lamp at night for a few weeks yet once you move them to the coop.
You want to avoid shocking their system by putting them out in a cold coop when they've been used to the warmth and coziness of a heat lamp. If they are already off their heat lamp, then no problem; they're ready.

Beautiful colors on your little chick(en)s, especially Cinn.!!! Yeah, I agree w/all that's been said. At least offer a lamp at night for another two weeks or so (don't know how cold winters get at night in N. Cal???). If the theory holds true of reducing the temp. by 5 degrees or so each week, then 65 degrees at this point would be just about right! But if they're used to warmer conditions, it may be a shock to their systems, so do a little weaning... I'm quite overprotective of my little girls, but they were out in the coop (w/heat lamp) at three weeks. They STILL get a lamp at this age when the temps take a nose-dive...

Thanks for the help, everyone! I moved the girls outside on Tuesday, so they've been through three nights in the coop so far. They had been off the heat lamp for a couple of weeks before they went outside, so I didn't give them any supplementary heat. This morning I just let them out of the coop into their run for the first time, and they all seem active and happy.

Just a 'thank you' for your post! I live just a little south of your area (San Francisco) and mine are 6 weeks old. Wasn't sure what well-feathered meant (never had chickens before) then I saw your pic and realized, my chicks look just like that now! Had been thinking about moving them out of their cardboard box brooder, too - but wasn't sure until I saw your post! :0) Out to the coop and run they go today!

Quote:

Back
Top Bottom