Are new chicks better off with mom?

Quote:
So what your saying is I should stop making my kids scratch the ground for thier dinner, and feed them some real food or you will take them away?? Maybe I could just send them to ya.
lau.gif

No that's not what she's saying. What she's saying is what I was talking about when I mentioned "extreme circumstances" When a dumb guinea hen goes cannabalistic on her peeps, that is an extreme circumstance and it absolutely justified when taking the keets from her. Same goes for a human parent that deprives their children of basic necessities needed for those children to be healthy and prosperous.

I've never dealt with a hen that wasn't a great mom and didn't sacrifice herself for the health of her eggs/peeps so Im sorry I do lack expertise in that category. I, personally, would never have the heart to remove the young of a hen that is doing a perfectly great job (better than I could do) at raising her babies she's waited so long to see
smile.png

When a dumb guinea hen goes cannabalistic on her peeps, that is an extreme circumstance and it absolutely justified when taking the keets from her.

This is exactly what I was trying to say. IF you wait " till the dumb Guinea hen goes cannabalistic on her peeps" Then its too late you have lost some, most or even all of the peeps. I have tried leaving the chicks with the hens a few times but always have taken them by the 3 or 4th day at the longest. I have also had a day old chick kill newly hatched chicks I won't take that chance, and I am guessing that her father in law didn't want to either.

Melissa​

I am very sorry you all have to worry about those things. There is nothing more beautiful than seeing a momma hen forraging around and showing her little babies how to be a chicken
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom