Are Orpingtons really big, or do they develop differently?

Tikka

In the Brooder
10 Years
Sep 27, 2009
We got 6 chicks from IFA last week, 3 golden sex links for us and 3 variety to raise for my mom, Buff Orpington, RIR and Barred Rock. The RIR and one of the GSLs were just starting tail feathers. The Buff Orpington only had wing feathers but she's the biggest one. Or... is this a symptom of being a Roo?

A week later, everyone has the start of tail feathers except for the BO. The Barred Rock is the smallest, but does seem to be growing. She is in the middle of the flock in terms of feather development.

If you got them from a hatchery/feedstore you're likely just seeing a rooster in development or something else. Hatchery-based Orpingtons are no bigger than the other breeds most people order.

I don't know if tail feathers are an indication or not. Here are the 3 BO's I had at about 6-8 weeks. The roo is obvious.
I can't say that I see much difference in the tails; they did grow faster and became larger than the BSLs of the same age.
Now at nearly a year old, the hens are only slightly bigger than the BSLs. They just seemed to get big a little quicker than the BSLs.

I'm not sure this answers your question.

Barred Rock and Buff Orpington, which we think are the same age based on feathering.

Buff Orpington and RIR. The RIR is the most developed as far as feathers go, I'd guess 2.5 weeks old.

The orps I got my mixed order from MM are easily larger than most of the other chicks at three weeks (though I got three white ones that make everything else look tiny). I've identified three roosters in my order so far, so I think my orps are probably girls. I hope. I don't mind a buff sandwich or two but if I have six roosters in twenty five chicks, I may have to complain to the hatchery. Which I have no idea how to do, or what they would do, but six would be excessive.

If you got them from a hatchery/feedstore you're likely just seeing a rooster in development or something else. Hatchery-based Orpingtons are no bigger than the other breeds most people order.

Back
Top Bottom