Are Polish eggs more difficult to hatch??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by daze333, Aug 18, 2010.

1. daze333

daze333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2008
    Port Angeles, WA
    Hi all
    I have hatched 3 or 4 clutches of polish, mostly SLP and GLP and had very low hatches with each. They were all shipped eggs. Some numbers are; 3/9, 2/8, 3/9 etc. I also have a friend who did a Polish hatch at the same time as my last one and got 4 out of 12. I have hatched many other chicken breeds, ducks, quail etc and polish seem to have the lowest hatch rates. Are Polish just harder to hatch in general? I was wondering if anyone else has had trouble like this?

2. atimme

atimme Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2010
    Chicago
    Sometimes breeds with vaulted skulls can have more trouble. It could be the shipping as well or a combination of the two. Could you look into local eggs or driving to pick some up? I don't think it's the incubator... Anyone else?

3. mrslb333

mrslb333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    I had 6 shipped polish eggs 2 made it to lock down one died at a day old and the last one turned out to be twins!
    I've tried before with polish eggs 2 or 3 times but this was the first one I've had hatch but to be fair I had humidity problems which the other incubations and none of the other breeds made it either. Maybe the eggs just don't do well with shipping I always incubate them upright as the one I get always have poor looking air cells. [​IMG]

4. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    I haven't had any worse luck with them than with any other breed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by