Are Polish Harder to Raise?

lockedhearts

It's All About Chicken Math
12 Years
Apr 29, 2007
Georgia
I have a Trio of Polish. Fertility is great, they hatch great. The problem is Mortality. Out of 4 Hatched I have 1 left and it just hatched today.
2 were almost a week old. They seemed to be fine, eating, sleeping, drinking. No Pasty butt. Then I would notice they would start almost falling asleep standing up. Then Dead.

This is the first time I have hatched Polish and I am concerned.

Anyone with experience on Hatching them.

I am sorry, I do not have any hatching experiance, but, we have gotten day olds from ideal, and they thrive just like the rest. They are actually bigger than the rest of the chicks, and one of the three we have feathered out before the rest of the chicks had a chance, the rest are RIR

I got 45 or fifty 50 from a 100+ order several years ago. They thrived just fine in the brooder and the pens . But when I let them out to freerange as young adults they seemed to get into more mishaps than the other chickens. They would get hung in the fence (Hog wire) and I'd have to get them out. Then they would jump up on something and catch theirself by their toes or something. I usually found them and rescued them but I lost one or two that hung theirselves on something. Don't know what would be causing you young ones to die off though! Maybe somebody with more experience with them will chime in and give you a clue. Hope you find out the problem so you won't lose any more. Good luck!!

They are prone to death in cold weather and can get sick quickly, as I've heard from those who have them. We ordered one pullet in a group of 25 and she made it just fine. She's even my favorite. As an adult now, she gets sick randomly and perks up the next day. I don't even get stressed out about it anymore. There's really no rhyme or reason to her.

A do seem to hear that babies die easily and are more fragile than others. Bare in mind that the top-knot they are born with is an 'addition' to the normal chick's skull and can cause nerve damage or other defects for the chick, if something were to go wrong with the forming at an early stage. No experience with hatching full Polish, however, I sense a common theme amongst Polish owners, if you catch my drift.

A friend gave me about 20 Polish eggs. This is my first time hatching (had 3 broody hens) and I have 6 babies. Learning as I go.

hmm . . . I got mine as day olds with all of the rest, haven't had a single problem. Although as one poster said I can see them getting into trouble in the yard - they seem to be more adventuresome and inquisitive.

I had the same problem...They would be fine, walk away for an hour, come back, and theyre almost dead!
I ordered 5, ended up with 3...and of course, the ones left all look like roosters
barnie.gif

I ordered 30 chicks from Mcmurray, 6 of which were Polish. I have had them for about 3 days and have lost 3. All of my other chicks seem fine. One died right away but the other two seemed fine. They were eating and walking then they just looked really sleepy, then they died. I had 3 that were silver laced and now I am down to one. The other that dies was a buff laced. The rest seem fine but I am watching them more closely for sure...

Back
Top Bottom