are rhode islands good layers

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by leghorn4, Mar 6, 2014.

1. leghorn4

leghorn4 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2013
    are rhode islands good layers? How often do rhode island reds lay? i have 6 hens, 5 of them are 18 months and one 6 month old pullet.i am curious to see many eggs i can expect from them.

2. Yes. RIR are great layers. In the top 5 in my opinion. Individual chickens do very but the breed is consistent.

I love my leghorns and sex links for laying but the RIR are close behind.

Wish ya the best.

3. Sam091599

Sam091599 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2014
    I have RIR hens they are pretty good layers but my other hens like the black austrolorps are more consistent in laying one every day :)

4. chickkrzi

chickkrzi Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2011
    Waco texas
    Ive had RIR for years now. Not on top of best egg layers list, but up there a ways. I just love them cause it reminds of my grandma flock. Mine will lay 4-5 eggs a week (each). Have 2 hens that's just over a year old. They are laying 67-77 gram egg at around 8 months old. My other three will lay 57-65 grams. Now these are " hatchery" RIR not "production" or "Heritage" RIR. some people think that if its not a " heritage" RIR then it should be called a production RIR. BUT that's no the case.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by