Are Ringneck doves friendly?

beezer1999

Chirping
5 Years
Jan 14, 2015
I am getting a pair of ringneck doves today and I was wondering how friendly ringnecks are? Are they friendly by nature? Or are they sciddish? Please let me know ASAP!

I am getting a pair of ringneck doves today and I was wondering how friendly ringnecks are? Are they friendly by nature? Or are they sciddish? Please let me know ASAP!
They may be skittish at first, but they can be quite friendly. A single ringneck can become very tame and owner oriented. As a pair, not so much. In pairs, they bond with each other and are less dependent on their owners for companionship.

I've had ringnecks from good show breeder, and they never where smart or friendly like my rock doves, ringnecks may learn simple things, but basically just flutter about at best (most over generations bred for cramped cage life only, n can slowely build some strength) to make more doves. They do possess very limited homing skills, and if used to foster rock doves, they'll follow home or come hone to your call as the rock doves do, or from seeing them there flying round. Mine used to go off and come hone with mourning doves. They did best on budgie feed etc type stuff for. They can even in pairs same as parrots be tame. They are very fragile so caution handling, but perching on you to a conditioned feed call yes. Keeping birds alone shouldn't be done as especially doves gwmet depressed and sick, and such cruel to do, so for good you got two (as birds do better in even numbers).

Last edited:
They are, by nature, gently and calm birds.. and very easy to tame.. even if you have a group of them like I do. The way to their hearts is with treats.. mine love crushed up unsalted peanuts.

Don't rush it.. it takes several weeks for them to become trusting of you.

All mine will feed from my hand.. sit on my arm of shoulder.. and peck at me hair when I sit on the sofa.

I couple like to be tickled on the back of the neck.

Just like people they all have their own personalities. One of my male ones is bossy and likes to peck my finger if I try to touch him.. and even will give me a slap with his wing. But they are so small and delicate they can't hurt you.

They are, by nature, gently and calm birds.. and very easy to tame.. even if you have a group of them like I do. The way to their hearts is with treats.. mine love crushed up unsalted peanuts. Don't rush it.. it takes several weeks for them to become trusting of you. All mine will feed from my hand.. sit on my arm of shoulder.. and peck at me hair when I sit on the sofa. I couple like to be tickled on the back of the neck. Just like people they all have their own personalities. One of my male ones is bossy and likes to peck my finger if I try to touch him.. and even will give me a slap with his wing. But they are so small and delicate they can't hurt you.
Beautiful.

Back
Top Bottom