Are RIR just more prone to egg bound?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by RedfogsFlock, Feb 17, 2011.

1. RedfogsFlock

RedfogsFlock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2010
    Wittmann, AZ
    We have two RIR's and awhile back one got egg bound and the egg broke inside her. We got it all cleaned up and she's fine now. A few days ago I found another egg with no shell.

So now our other RIR is once again not laying, and just sitting on the floor in the hay in their brooder box again. These two girls keep getting egg bound even though we have oyster shell free feed, in their feed, and crushed egg shells free feed. None of the other girls get egg bound just thesse two. ?

so is there anything we can do to help them, keep them from getting egg bound?

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    It is a genetic issue, so no, I don't think there is much you can do. Maybe I'm wrong though. As we call them "Production Reds" (real, heritage Rhode Island Reds are meaty dual purpose birds, not skinny egg layers) - they've been bred for decades to be super-layers, which in consequence, results in eggbound, internal laying, short production lifespan, etc. It isn't just with Production Reds, either - It spans to any of the common hatchery stock breeds. Now, there are some people who've had healthy Production Reds too, but it can be a gamble. After 4 years, chances of issues get higher and higher.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by