Are runner ducks good for a small city lot?

SarahUCM

Hatching
10 Years
Aug 27, 2009
Merced
I keep hearing how great ducks are for slug and snail control (which we desperately need), but live in the city with close neighbors. Would a pair of indian runners work in a well fenced backyard? Is there a better duck breed for a small lot (3000 sq ft)? Also, what is their noise level? We keep 3 hens for eggs already and have no noise issues with neighbors. Is a male and female the best combination or 2 females? Can I keep a single one with the chickens? Any advice would be welcomed!

Any ducks can be loud, especially the females. I've had Runners before and they were very skittish. If you want ducks, I would suggest a breed such as Pekin or Swedish. They are larger, can't fly because of their size, and are more friendly.

BTW: Ducks make a HUGE mess when it rains. If you live in a wet area, I would suggest you refrain from the duckies.
tongue.png

Last edited:
I too live in the city, so I understand your special needs. I did a lot of research before getting ducks for my urban backyard.
I chose Muscovy as they are very quiet. As a matter of fact they don't quack. They softly hiss and make cute trill noises. I would recommend having a pen in your yard that has been set up for ducks to live in for part of the day. I have smooth pea gravel and rock covering most of they pen in order to keep the mud down. Also, Muscovy don't need a big pool to be happy. I have a very small kiddie pool with about 6 inches of water in it.
Muscovy can fly (they will roost on roofs and in trees if able to fly), so their flight feathers must be clipped a couple of times a year.
Best of all they are very sweet, good tempered ducks.

I really, really don't recommend ducks for a city situation. Mainly because they put out quadruple the mess chickens do. Yes, Muscovies are quieter but they are a big bird and poop accordingly. I doubt you will be able to keep them clean and happy. Your patio will be liberally duck pooped as well as any walk ways or nice grassy areas.

Also remember they dont' eat just slugs and bugs, they love Hostas and primroses and all kinds of yummy plants so if you let them range your yard they will be helping themsleves to whatever they consider tasty. Mine discovered workign their bills into potted plants results in tasty worms. In one stretch they destroyed four large containers of flowers.

I have ducks, I love my ducks, but just 5 in an 1 -1/2 acre yard are amazingly messy.

have you considered bantam ducks? I am new to ducks aswell and live in the city with a semi-small lot. I really wanted ducks, and seeing as how i have bantam chickens i figured i might as well get bantam ducks. Mine are only 2 weeks old, but I think if you live in the city they might be a good way to go!

Do you like peppermint tea? The plant is somewhat invasive, but it does get rid of slugs. Comfrey is another plant to grow. Both grow easily from seed. So the herb garden may be a good idea. I had a slug problem when I was in Maryland and they moved out when the plants moved in. I still remember how my neighbor once sudden complained about the slug invasion.
wink.png

My Welsh Harlequins are quiet.. Daisy only quacks when she is excited or startled.. which isn't often.. also cayugas are quiet and I've heard that Rouens are quiet.. too.

I had muscovies and just recently got some young runners. The muscovies seem less noisey compared to other adult runners I have seen. They are also good at hatching out eggs (one hen hatched out 12 but my other hen didn't get any due to the chicken sharing the nest). The males do get pretty big while the females are small. I do agree about the poop though. They are more messy than chickens and will need their wings clipped.

I live in the city with 7 chickens, and just recently added 6 ducks and 3 geese. they seem to be just fine as long as their water is changed, as for the poop there is alot, but it just washes away with a hose and the grass loves it. I have 2 separate fenced yards that they will be switching between that are 25ft x 40ft (courtyard) and 35ft x 50ft(backyard). I have alot of raised vegetable beds so I compost the manure/hay and spread it around once it is thoroughly broken down.

I guess when it comes down to it how much work do you want to put in? In my opinion people who own a few dogs put up with more mess than a small flock of birds.

As for Breeds, I have runners and jumbo pekins. both are friendly, although as stated before runners can be skittish.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom