Are Silkies normally quite??? and more Q's

lady and her girls

In the Brooder
10 Years
Oct 19, 2009
ohio
I have a barrowed silkie and never gave them a second look until now.

1. Are they normally quite? I only hear her if their is something wrong like a cat too close

2. Do they take confinment well? She seems to be doing fine.

3. Do they weight very much? she doesn't

4. Are they all natural mommies? she took to the chicks and she had nothing to do with the hatching

43149_dscf0010.jpg
Mona taking a break

I am thinking of getting a few.

Last edited:
I have 2 sizzle pullets (silkie crossed with a frizzled cochin) and they are the NOISIEST ladies ever. Everytime I go in there, I imagine I am some po-dunk walking into the queen's court. Gossip gossip gossip!

I also have two silkie chicks (3 weeks old) that I had to move outside because the 2 of them were 10 times louder than the other 9 chicks in the brooder. Complain, complain!

All 4 have WAAAAAYYY more personality than my other birds. Much more fun.

I have a little white silkie. I dont' have a lot of experience but I'll answer your questions based on my little girl.

1. She's really loud. Possibly my loudest chicken. The rest are standard laying breeds.
2. She loves confinement. She often stays in the run even when it's open and is always the first to roost, even while it's still light out.
3. She doesn't weigh very much. She seems about right for her size.
4. Don't know about the mommy issue, she just laid her first egg today and just one other hen laid her first egg today.

Mona is lovely... a very typical Silkie from your description. They are awesome, awesome pets & amazing Mommies. What I have found is that shifting the makeup of my flock toward Silkies has made my egg production decrease - alot! I know: Duh!
he.gif

I have a pair of white Silkies...had them almost a week. They are very quiet. I noticed that they don't roost....they just snuggle together like a couple of luv birds. I haven't heard the rooster crow...they just make light clucking noise. But they did get a little louder when my cat got close to their coop. I don't know that much about Silkies...I got them at an auction....they were a good price and the auctioneer said they were good brooders. Question: Do all the white ones have blue markings on their faces? Mine does. They call it "gills".
I wish I'd asked the ages of my pair. They seem mature though. I have noticed that the rooster isn't as pushy as his gal....lol....talk about "hen pecked"....lol...

My silkies are quiet and 4 of the 5 are roosters! And, now that you mention it, they don't roost either. They also cuddle all together in the coop! lol I guess that the level of noise from the birds will just vary with the attitudes!
smile.png

Our silkies are almost as loud as our NHR's and they are ridiculously loud
hmm.png

Our siklie roos start crowing around 5 am and are at it almost all day
hmm.png

The girls are really light weights here, the 2 roos on the other hand are quiet heavy.

Back
Top Bottom