Are SoCal chickens different?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Linda in San Diego, Nov 26, 2008.

1. Linda in San Diego

Linda in San Diego Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    San Diego
    My hens are still laying a good number of eggs each day. A week ago I figured the Delightful Dozen were slowing down, we had a day with just 3 eggs, then 2 days with just 5 from the Delightful Dozen.
    But then this week, they are back on track with about 7 a day. Does that qualify as slowing down? We were getting 9+ a day last month....
    Just wondering.

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Can I just say...... [​IMG]

Mine are on strike. But it is colder here than down there. You are gonna make a lot of people jealous with that post. [​IMG] Glad YOU are getting so many. [​IMG]

3. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I have five laying and I have been getting 3 or 4 a day. Only 1 so far today though... they better get laying!

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Mine slowed down for around a week when the weather turned cooler and are now back up to full production.
    It's my understanding that some breeds slow down in winter and stay down throughout the cold weather.
    Others, like mine have a slight slow down and then go back to laying as normal.
    It all depends on the breed. Which makes me extra glad I got a breed known for their winter laying.

5. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I guess it is breed specific - my EE's both stopped completely as did the our turken. My BO lays daily and our SSH does too. Our black sex link every other day right now. Still not many compared to 5 a day all summer.

6. Linda in San Diego

Linda in San Diego Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    San Diego
    Don't get me wrong, I don't want them to stop. But I am puzzled that I see no signs of a moult, very little change in egg numbers. I guess I will just play it by ear, LOL.

My 3 EE are going strong and everyone else is hanging in, I guess that is the good thing about having a mixture of breeds.

7. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I have had a few start to lay their first eggs this week. One black marans, one brownred turken, two partridge silkies, my jersey giant, something laying white... (barred rock?) but the birds I REALLY want to start laying... they just scratch and peck mostly, and beat up the birds that are laying!

8. jhm47

jhm47 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    I would think that the mild climate (it's unfair that some parts of the country have such a beautiful climate year round) would encourage the hens to lay indefinitely. The fact that they can go outside and scratch around in the sun, and receive lots of light, even though it might be for fewer hours would be an advantage.

BTW: I simply LOVE San Diego. The weather is perfect, the scenery beautiful, and the cultural opportunities are great. If it weren't for the earthquakes, wildfires, mudslides, and mass murderers, it would be paradise on earth. Guess I'll have to stay here and put up with our tornadoes, blizzards, ice storms, and rattlesnakes. Happy Thanksgiving!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by