Are some breeds easier to hatch than others (shipped eggs)

I love how Papa’s Poultry lets you in on their projects! Damn it... I’ll be right down in Redding, CA where they’re located in June. Guess I’m forced to try out some lavender Marans :D

I won’t listen to anyone else’s recommendations anymore unless they’re members on here. You get to see first hand their struggles with shipped eggs and which ones are actually a good trusted buy.

First shipped eggs: first time hatching, no idea what I'm doing. Hatch 8 out of 18. Non eBay seller.

Second try: 0 out of 12. Eggs covered in sheep manure. Smell up my whole house. Ebay seller.

Third try: 5 out of 20. Same seller as first time. My temps were too high, and lost heat twice. My fault.

I'm trying again with same seller. Eggs arrive this week!

Just got these from Foxfire 3 days ago. They’re already developing. 2 clears, the rest have veins. Eggs are always clearly marked with what breed they are. Was only supposed to get 6 eggs :)
View attachment 2124887
I would take a peak at her website and see if she has orders of Cemanis only. I think she does.
I am jealous! I will definitely place an order with her. Now I am mad at myself for wasting so much time and money trying to buy eggs on ebay :(

Nah! Don’t be sad. Lessons learned. We all have to go through with these crappy purchases to find out it’s not really the best place to buy hatching eggs. I just did the very thing (ordered eggs from unknown ebayer) I thought I learned not to do!

I got very lucky with my first Foxfire order, as it was a random purchase I made on eBay last year. Found out she just lists her overstock on there. The eggs were so perfectly packed in toilet paper 🤗
879CF02D-E447-4109-8B6C-85E000C8C11D.jpeg

First shipped eggs: first time hatching, no idea what I'm doing. Hatch 8 out of 18. Non eBay seller.

Second try: 0 out of 12. Eggs covered in sheep manure. Smell up my whole house. Ebay seller.

Third try: 5 out of 20. Same seller as first time. My temps were too high, and lost heat twice. My fault.

I'm trying again with same seller. Eggs arrive this week!

Good luck in your next hatch! Calibrated thermometers and hygrometers will make your hatch. I learned that pretty quick. Touchy little eggs :rolleyes:

I now only use the hygrometer after lock down, as I’ve had better hatch rates not adding any water until the end.

Good luck in your next hatch! Calibrated thermometers and hygrometers will make your hatch. I learned that pretty quick. Touchy little eggs :rolleyes:

I now only use the hygrometer after lock down, as I’ve had better hatch rates not adding any water until the end.
Oh yes, I have the calibrated equipment. But we had big ambient temp swings that affected the incubators' abilities to keep their temperatures. To start I put the fan in one incubator upside down and didn't notice for two days. :oops: Our furnace went out the night before Easter and it was 10 degrees outside--it got down to the thirties in the house. Then a few days before lockdown we hit 75-80 degrees, and the incubator temps went up too, till I changed the settings. So the temp swings cost me a lot of eggs. :barnie

Ditto on Papas.... I got twice as many eggs last year in middle of the summer, really nice to do that.

to the OP, I hatched a few hundred shipped eggs last year and I finally got smart. I only ask for eggs laid within 48 hours of when they’re going to be dropped off at the post office. 24 hours if you can. They have to have a flock big enough to accommodate this, but, I’ve had almost all 80-100% hatch rates from shipped eggs after doing this.

the smaller the air cell, the harder it is for shipping to disrupt it.

Back
Top Bottom