Are some breeds of duck more susceptible to bumblefoot than others?

Newbie6789

Songster
Mar 4, 2020
I am curious if some duck breeds are more susceptible to bumblefoot than others? It is too warm to try to catch and therefore stress my Khaki Campbell and now my Welsh Harlequin. 3 of them are limping - worse some days than others. I KNOW I need to catch them to be sure. I was curious about the breeds being more likely to get this since both the KC and WH are close relatives. My muscovies, Cayuga's and Pekin are all fine. As well as 2 of the KC and 1 WH. Just curious.
Thanks

Pekins are especially prone to it. The heavier the breed the more likely they are to get bumblefoot. Any duck can get it though from stepping on sharp objects, like rocks. It also does not necessarily have obvious swelling. If the legs are swollen, I would actually be more worried that it may be going systemic.

Do you have a male? They can also limp due to injury from mating.

You could try herding them into a small fenced area where it will be easier to catch them and check them out. Definitely give them treats or they will learn it is the area they get picked up.

Pekins are especially prone to it. The heavier the breed the more likely they are to get bumblefoot. Any duck can get it though from stepping on sharp objects, like rocks. It also does not necessarily have obvious swelling. If the legs are swollen, I would actually be more worried that it may be going systemic.

Do you have a male? They can also limp due to injury from mating.

You could try herding them into a small fenced area where it will be easier to catch them and check them out. Definitely give them treats or they will learn it is the area they get picked up.
x2

I do have a male, but I haven't seen him mating with the KC or WH's.
Yes - I will be trying to catch them in a few days once the heat subsides.
thank you for weighing in. I was aware the heavier breed, the more likely. I just didn't think KC and WH's were heavy (and they are pretty small in relativity to my other ones that are fine)

I feel what Ducks feet are subjected to is mostly the problem with bumblefoot. My Rouen Hens are big girls that are kept on sand and grass and their offspring also rather large are too. When I had my Mallards they also were kept on sand and grass and no sharp objects. I have never had bumblefoot on any of my Ducks and I feel this is why. Good luck with yours.

I realize it's been a long while since your post but I've got 3 Welshies and 2 Cayugas and I legit feel like bumble is a constant battle with all 3 Welshies. Cayugas haven't had an issue. To be fair, my ducks are my pets and not livestock so I just let them be where they want when it's free range time. I'm always out with them during that time but they stay close to me so sometimes that means it can be on the deck and my concrete patio (see pics). I do think it's interesting my Cayugas haven't had any issues at all and wonder if there is a susceptibility there.

One more added detail: they have straw in their nighttime house and a combo of pea gravel and straw in their covered pen during the day when they aren't free ranging while I'm working.

Attachments

• IMG_20220330_171139.jpg
    IMG_20220330_171139.jpg
    820.9 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20220330_171625.jpg
    IMG_20220330_171625.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 2
I realize it's been a long while since your post but I've got 3 Welshies and 2 Cayugas and I legit feel like bumble is a constant battle with all 3 Welshies. Cayugas haven't had an issue. To be fair, my ducks are my pets and not livestock so I just let them be where they want when it's free range time. I'm always out with them during that time but they stay close to me so sometimes that means it can be on the deck and my concrete patio (see pics). I do think it's interesting my Cayugas haven't had any issues at all and wonder if there is a susceptibility there.

One more added detail: they have straw in their nighttime house and a combo of pea gravel and straw in their covered pen during the day when they aren't free ranging while I'm working.
I read an article one time that said that if it is hard on your bare feet it is hard on your ducks feet. That always stayed in my mind whenever I thought of my ducks feet. The sand hardens at times and I add more for them to keep it softer. The little Khaki Campbells that I got a couple of months ago are on sand and pine shavings. I have been very fortunate not to have ever had a case of bumble foot on any of my nine ducks. Some are a lot heavier and I would think they would be the most prone to it. My Rouens and Muscovy are both large ducks but so far so good. I am sorry to hear about yours and pray that they get better soon. Concrete seems to be very hard on their feet as it is ours. Good luck with your ducks.

I'm sorry to hear that you are still having problems with bumble foot.

I know that pekins tend to have foot problems like bumble foot, because of their extra weight. It was definitely true with my pekin. My welsh harlequin, Pigweed, is now 7 and has never had bumble foot. I had another welsh harlequin, Gingersnap, for a couple of years, and she had a very minor case of bumble foot that cleared up with a couple weeks of topical ointment only. Gingersnap was a very large girl. My cayuga and both my khakis have never had it.

It could be possible that your ladies have more delicate foot skin. Did they come from Metzer? Gingersnap did, Pigweed did not. Genetic?

All 5 came from Metzer. And just yesterday I saw that Bev was a little less active than normal and I checked her feet and yup. I need to be better about checking like once a week.

Pigweed is still the best duck name ever. And thank you so much for always chiming in on my questions. My Heathers are doing great (outside of the bumble) and I can't believe I'm no longer a duck newbie.

Back
Top Bottom