are the Ameracaunas and Auracaunas one and the same??

mmtillman

Songster
11 Years
Jan 6, 2009
Southwest MO near the ARK line
I just ordered my new flock from Cackle Hatchery, and I thought I ordered 5 of those hens that lay the colored eggs?? That is what the lady at the feed store told me , when I asked her.

But... I am confused.
roll.png

I think I ordered 'Ameracaunas'. If so ...then are 'Auracaunas' the same thing ?
If not..how are they different....?
hmm.png

As you can probally tell by now...I am a total newbie;)
We had a flock last year , that was given to us ....but the foxes or coons
roll.png
dug under the door and wiped out the entire flock.
sad.png

I have lots to learn about the different breeds...have got the basic breeds figured out ...but dont know enough yet to be able to ID the birds.....
Also ..another question while I am on the subject of breeds....
Is there a 'chart' that list all the abbrev. of the breeds ??
I see the abbrevation EE alot...dont have a clue what it means yet....
tongue.png
I DO know what RIR is
big_smile.png
cause I ordered 5 of them as well!!
smile.png

Anyway...I have 25 chicks comin in April . We built the new coop this winter , an 8x8x7 barns style predator proof ! building, and are putting the final touches to it ....we just put the first coat of Antique Red on today after priming it yesterday !!
big_smile.png
smile.png

I am way beyond excited about having chickens again!!
Thanks in advance and for all the advice I recieved since I found BYC !! We are looking forward to learning so much more in the future!!!!
smile.png

Welcome to BYC!
Well, Cackle has neither Ameraucanas or Araucanas. They have a mixed type we call Easter Eggers. To get a true Ameraucana or Araucana, you must go to a breeder. In fact, those two look quite different, actually. Please use our great search feature and look at threads involving these breeds. It's been discussed alot here! Here is one breeder's explanation of the differences:
http://creefarm.fateback.com/ameraucana.html

EE=Easter Egg - a chicken that is a mix, that contains Ameraucanas or Araucanas (both are blue layers) in the bloodlines possible resulting in green, blue, pink, or brown eggs

That's what it means to me.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Hi,

In short, "No." They are not the same thing. In fact, what you got from Cackle is neither an Ameraucana or an Araucana.

To save yourself a lot of time and reading, I suggest just doing a search on "Ameraucana", "Easter Egger", and "Araucana". My guess is that you'll have more to read that you want! LOL

God Bless,

I don't know if there is a link to explain all the abbreviations, but I'll give you a quick list off the top of my head...

BA - black australorp
EE - easter egger
BR - barred rock
SLW - silver-laced wyandotte
GLW - golden-laced wyandotte
BLRW - blue-laced red wyandotte
RIR - rhode island red
RIW - rhode island white
LF - large fowl of any breed (not bantam)
BO - buff orpington
WL - white leghorn
PR - partridge rock
BBS or B/B/S - blue/black/splash (what you get when breeding blue birds)

Ummmmm That's all I can think of right now. Maybe someone will come along and add to the list for ya!

Back
Top Bottom