Are the shells to hard?? My chicks are dying trying to get out!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bossynbella, May 12, 2008.

1. bossynbella

bossynbella Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2007
    Iowa
    I have tried reading about this but all the information i can find is considering Incubators mine is with a broody hen. This is our second hatch this year. The first hatch of 6 eggs 2 made it out. 1 with help. and 1 died after it pipped the other died without ever pipping. This second hatch 1 made it out so far one died yesterday probably because I didn't help soon enough. and one was pipped last night like 6 pm and this morning is still alive but has made no progress. I am scared to help, afraid I will make it worse.
    Is this a humidity issue?? they are outside in the coop under a hen. What can I do about this? are the shells to hard?? I am so sick of loosing all my babie chicks and the one lonely one we have is so sad with no friends.
    Any ideas would be appreciated.
    Melissa

2. Tom908

Tom908 Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2008
    Sounds like a humidity issue, but with the eggs under a hen i don't know what to suggest.

3. Zookeeper9000

Zookeeper9000 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Gladstone MI
    Could ya run a line and hook up a humitifer like they use when kids are sick set it close to the hen. I never had a broody so I really don't know if it is possiable. Good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by