Are there any basket weavers out there?

Chinchilla2

Songster
8 Years
Jun 9, 2011
Red Rock
I am in need of a little information in regards to the weaving or spline material. I need some round, not too big, easy to bend in a circle stuff.

Here's the deal. . . I got to make three circles, each one about 4-5" across. Two cross each other at the top and bottom while the third encircles the mess at the "equator" with everything held in place with some small leather or faux leather strips. My "pattern" (something I picked up at a craft show) actually used those metal 4.5" gold toned rings used for macrame or dream catchers. I'm wanting something a little more rustic looking. I need a round reed type stuff that is fairly strong, will have a little flex but not a lot (has to stay fairly rigid to keep the shape), and isn't all that expensive. I would wind up having to order the stuff to be shipped to me since my town has nothing that resembles a true craft store.

My basket weaving experience was quite some time ago but I do remember that the splines or ribs that the rest of the material was woven onto had the tensile strength and body I'm looking for. The problem comes with not being able to remember what the heck that stuff was actually called and how darn big it was. I do remember that the stuff was about as big around as the stick on an old fashioned kitchen match or a standard coffee stirrer. Which really does me no good since the sizes of stuff that look like the same thing is in #5, #6, #7 etc. instead of "ohhh, about 3/16 inch round".

If I could ever come up with a way to make a "it's about this big" to "official packaging size" converter tool, I'd make a fortune
lau.gif

I just came across your post. I was browsing through the Hobby section, figured I'd check it out. I am a basket weaver although I should say was. I haven't done any weaving in some time but I'm sure I can help you out. I'm not sure what you plan on making but it almost sounds like an egg basket.

The materials I think you are looking for is reed. There are many sizes of reed including the round reed you are looking for. If I can help just let me know. I'm not great at ribbed baskets but I will do what I can. You can also use cane. I hope I can help.

I am not a basket-weaver, (according to the stereotype, I probably should be, along with examining belly-button lint, and trying out those oh-so-fashionable canvas jackets, with the wrap-around arms, especially the way I've been feeling today
wink.png
) but I am great at internet searches!
I just typed in "basket weaving supplies" and got these 3, + a bunch of others:
www.basketweavingsupplies.com
www.basketweaving.com
www.basketmakers.org/topics/supplies/suppliesmenu.htm
I would start at one or more of these websites and explore, get a sense of what's out there, see what looks like what you remember, maybe order a catalog, if they have one.....
Happy hunting, good luck, and above all, have fun!

Last edited:
I could not find what you searched for. All that came up was website could not be found. A good place to order supplies is Suzanne Moore's Basket Works. Their prices are really good compared to many other basket shops. Also, BasketPatterns.com, East Troy Basketry and Gratriot Lake Basketry are also good places.

If you need any help getting started, wanting to know how to weave something imparticular or what the use of certain reeds, sweetgrass, cane etc. are used for feel free to ask. I'd be happy to help. My name is Chris Jarvis and you may find some patterns I've written in some shops. It's been a long time so I don't know if they still have any.

Chris - Thanks for the offer. Basically what I am looking for is a sturdy piece of cane or reed (I'm thinking the reed is what I'm looking for). It needs to round, not oval or flat, just a little smaller around than the average layer pellet is. Sorta wicker / rattan sized round.

At one time, everyone and their brother and sister were making dream catchers. This doodad is based on the same principle of a dream catcher only it takes it a step further and makes a ball for holding a figurine. My sample / example uses those dinky little brass toned rings that are usually employed to hold the frame of the web on a dream catcher and I can find tons of these things (just have to go to Austin for 'em).

Digging around on the basketpatterns.com site, the round reed looks closest to what she was calling basket rib. Would this be able to maintain a round shape, with just a little flex for durability? Also, what size would I be needing? I'm thinking somewhere between 1/8 and 3/16" diameter is about what the metal hoops are that I would be replacing with the reed. It seems most of the descriptions I see on various suppliers only give me a number and not an actual "in inches" measure.

I picked it up at the Alabama Coushatta Indian Reservation here in Texas and was talking to the really nice woman who made them. This was one of the lower priced ones that she makes but she had some others that used basket reed looking stuff (I think she called it basket rib) and others she had made from grapevine (I would have loved to have one of those, slightly larger than a basketball and the one had a beautiful eagle sculpture in it). According to her, I could use some thin grape vine for the frame and, while I have access to tons of grapevine here, all of them are massive suckers closer to small tree trunk size. I did do some hunting around and came up with some various other stuff but most of it either becomes too brittle when dried or absolutely refused to hold shape.

Guess what I need to know is if you think this reed would work for what it is I am thinking about using it for and what number size does a layer pellet work out to be?

(Yarn is so much easier to figure out LOLOL).

Nic&Charles - I did the same thing and came up with a ton of them. The problem lies in getting the right stuff the first time. While I never object to having extra supplies (objecting is the DH's job, something he does quite well BTW
lau.gif
) I wanted to get some opinions before hand on whether the stuff would work. Thanks for the search tho! (BTW, I like the wrap around ones with the brass looking buckles, they are stylish and go with my crayon box
big_smile.png
).

How much do you think you need? Round reed goes by numbers. For instance, Round Reed #2 or #3. Let me see what I have and I can mail it to you. Do you have a picture of the project? That would help.

You could probably use just about anything for your project including branch tigs. If you can cut a few green branches the size you are looking for it would be perfect. You would take them and bend them around a container that fits the diameter you are looking for. Keep it on there till it dries.

I'll be back. Someone is at the door.

I'm thinking the round reed is what I'm going to need. Just not sure of the exact size. Most of the trees around here are oak and right now about as flexible as a steel rod so I'll have to hold off til spring on trying tree twigs. I'm thinking roughly 12-14 inches per ring so at least a yard. I was planning on getting a full coil or roll of reed since I am sure I can come up with something else to use it for if this doesn't work but just not sure of the size I'm looking at. Do you think the 2 or 3 will do the trick because I can get a bundle of each without problems.

If I can ever convince the kiddo to pull out his camera and take me a few pics, I'll post one here. It's very pretty and different from the traditional dream catcher things. I was thinking if I could figure out how to make them, I could put a "nest" inside with a blown egg of any given breed and use shed feathers from that very breed as decorative tassels.

I have way too much imagination and not enough time for all this stuff I think of as craft projects but for some reason, I just keep coming up with more stuff to do
lau.gif

Quote:
Me too, way to much imagination and not time. I would go with #3 round reed. With the reed you soak it for a few minutes in cold water. That's the best way to work with it. Also, you can dye the reed any color you want using Rit dye with a bit of vinegar in the water. If you dye your reed get it wet before you put it on a pot of hot dye. It will take better.

Then I'll get me some #3 round reed and post back after I get a chance to sit down and actually work with it. Thanks for helping out and the tip regarding the Rit dye. Hmmm, think I have about 8 bottles of that around here somewhere I picked up for a different project some time ago. Looks like its time to hit the ol' storage closet
lau.gif
Might find that missing Christmas wreath while I'm at it

Quote:
Well then, it sounds like a plan. Let me know if you need anymore help. Maybe this will help as well. When cutting the reed cross the 2 pieces over and cut on a diangonel. This way when you glue the ends together it will hold better and you won't see much of a seam.

Back
Top Bottom