Are there any Houdans that look like the APA standard?

AWChickens

Songster
11 Years
Sep 16, 2008
Bloomington, IN
I'm on a quest here people! I love, love, LOVe my Mottled Houdan rooster and have been long in search for more (thank you all BYCers who've helped me out in previous posts). But, while I think mine is gorgeous- he looks nothing at all like the APA standard picture. Everyone else I've found with these birds has beautiful ones, but no one with that perfect poofy crest and carefully mottled feathers that the picture shows in the standard.....so my question is- do they exist?
And if so, where, where, WHERE are they?!?

I have- no luck so far
sad.png

Sorry, just keep asking. Have you joined the club? I would recommend you do so. Try to contact Jim Parker, he may be able to help point you in the right direction. I would also suggest doing lots of research on the breed and memorizing the standard for the Houdan. This will give you more credibility with the club and may make them more willing to help.

Good Luck.

Aw,

There are some Houdans around, but not that many.
In my opinion, this is a breed that needs some attention.
There is a poultry show in Bloomington in April. You should go and ask around there. They should be able to point you to a Houdan breeder. I believe there is a breeder in IL and another in MI. I can't remember their names. Hopefully you will adopt this breed and work to develop them back to the standard.

Curtis

I am trying to breed them, I have 2 roosters but having trouble finding hens. I tried hatching and none hatched. Looks like hatchery hens and improve the breed from there.

Thanks for all the help! Several people on here have pointed me towards breeders, but so far everyone I've contacted no longer has Houdans- they've moved on to concentrate on other breeds. I have a copy of the standard, and I have joined the Polish Club, have actually posted on there and contacted several people. I just love mine, they are my favorite chicken...and the first breed to inspire me like the welsh ponies did, which is what started me living on a farm and breeding things to begin with!
I'll try
Society for the Preservation of Poultry Antiquities

I haven't been there yet!​

Last edited:
If you are truely serious in trying to find Houdans, you can contact the S.P.P.A.

Thanks ChicknGurl, I've already requested a membership form. I swear, the people on here know everything- it's great!​

Back
Top Bottom