Are there any plants ducks won't eat?

KCNC06

Crowing
14 Years
Sep 19, 2009
Central NC
I know there are plants ducks and chickens shouldn't eat, but are there any ducks won't eat? We recently lost the 100+ acre forest beside our property to a new development. The type that doesn't see the value in keeping any trees on the lots. A BEAUTIFUL forest of 100+ yr old trees is now a "field" of dirt and is slowly being built up with tacky, giant "custom" homes that look exactly like every other house. (Sorry about that tangent rant...clearly I'm not thrilled with having neighbors.)
Anyway. We desperately need to plant fast growing evergreen trees along our property line to block out the new, horrible, disgusting view. My chicken/duck yard is along the property line that we need to block off. I don't particularly love Leyland Cypress trees because they're prone to disease and stuff but they grow fast and that's what I need. But my concern is that the ducks will eat them.
Here's a list of plants that the ducks are last winter (not that I fed these to them, they were free ranging):
Camellias - any branches/leaves they could reach
Gardenias - ate all the leaves they could reach
Bearded Irises - ate the leaves down to the ground
Nandina/heavenly bamboo - ate all the bottom leaves
Mexican Heather
Dutch Iris leaves as soon as they sprouted
Also small sprouts of azalea, crape myrtles and hydrangea cuttings I had rooted from my husband's grandmother's house.
The ducks also broke into my vegetable garden last year and ate every leaf off my tomato and jalapeno plants. I know these are supposed to be toxic but the ducks didn't seem to be bothered by them. They do this almost every year, none have ever had a bad reaction as far as I can tell. I can't figure out why people say ducks are safer garden companions. Mine eat EVERYTHING!

The new generation hates any type of trees for some reason. I sometimes want to ask and stop but I don’t. The more we take away the hotter it will get.

Ducks will eat what they want and know what not to eat. I know grass and weeds are a delight. We planted foxglove in our pond so they can play and hide and they eat the flowers off of that. I recommend putting ‘natural plants for ducks’ into this search engine or online. Look for pond companies as well. You can also call your local extension office and they can help. Universities may be a help as well!

Thank you for being a tree hugger!

The new generation hates any type of trees for some reason. I sometimes want to ask and stop but I don’t. The more we take away the hotter it will get.
Thank you for being a tree hugger!
I should probably be embarrassed to admit this, but I have found myself literally hugging trees a few times this year. Some that got bulldozed had been among my favorite for many years. Sometimes you find trees that just look cool. Anyway. I caught myself hugging my favorites to say goodbye.
It drives me crazy that so much talk of climate change focuses on energy and emissions, and ignores the part about forests being bulldozed to create subdivisions with yards covered in turf grass. The news in our area goes on and on about how bad the flooding gets in our area now. The trees helped keep the area cooler and reduced storm water runoff, which probably helped prevent flooding from getting so bad. Turf grass is horrible. I can't for the life of me understand why it wouldn't be considered impervious surface.

Anyway. Thanks for the suggestions about pond plants! I'm guessing they probably won't like the sappy type trees like Leyland's or Arborvitae, and probably don't like Holly very much. They did some serious damage to a few privets last year. But, now that I think about it, it's not like they'll be able to reach too high so they're not going to eat the top parts that I really need for blocking the view.
I have a couple baby "Giant" Sequoia trees to add to my buffer wall. I can hardly wait to see what they can block out!

I learned ducks are a disaster in the garden too. I can't imagine just letting them loose to eat all my flowers. I would like them to get into my nandinas though. Those things grow faster than ducklings!
My nandina is a dwarf variety. Poor thing can't seem to get ahead on growing. For a few years our dogs would run through it and break branches off. Not sure why they had to play in that particular bush. Then the ducks got it and ate it into a tiny tree form nandina.
My mom said she was planning to let her ducks into her garden to help eat weeds and stuff this summer. I told her she probably doesn't really want to do that. Unless she doesn't want to deal with selling veggies at their farm stand this year. I used to have the best pitbull who would come into the garden with me to help with weeding. She would pull and eat the weeds but left the veggie plants alone. She also LOVED veggies and would sit beside me in the kitchen begging for cucumbers and tomatoes.

My nandina is a dwarf variety. Poor thing can't seem to get ahead on growing. For a few years our dogs would run through it and break branches off. Not sure why they had to play in that particular bush. Then the ducks got it and ate it into a tiny tree form nandina.
My mom said she was planning to let her ducks into her garden to help eat weeds and stuff this summer. I told her she probably doesn't really want to do that. Unless she doesn't want to deal with selling veggies at their farm stand this year. I used to have the best pitbull who would come into the garden with me to help with weeding. She would pull and eat the weeds but left the veggie plants alone. She also LOVED veggies and would sit beside me in the kitchen begging for cucumbers and tomatoes.
My nandina is the tall kind more on the bamboo side of things and it sprouts up everywhere. I can't stop it. I made the mistake of bringing it up here from our house in Florida and planting it on either side of my big garage door. Now the roots are everywhere. I really need to pull it up only because it's going to uproot my driveway if I don't stop it.

I've got Leylands inside my duck run and they are great for shade for the gang. The ducks don't try to eat them or anything.

That's funny about your dog eating tomatoes and veggies. Our dogs love watermelon but won't touch anything else from the garden.

Back
Top Bottom