1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Are there any Yellow chicken breeds?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by plantguy90, Oct 6, 2009.

1. plantguy90

plantguy90 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2009
    Moorpark, CA
    Hello, I have 3 hens, and was looking to add a fourth. This is fun for my toddler too, and since we have a Bhraman (white), Black sex-link (black), Rhode Island Red (red), thought it would be fun to add yellow colored chicken to the gang. Any good egg-layers that are yellow as adults?

2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Any buff breed should do, but I have a preference for buff orpington as they are glistening gold and very sweet.

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    I'd go with a buff brahma or buff rock over an orpington any day. Or a buff silkie [​IMG]

4. Funky Feathers

Funky Feathers former Fattie

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    I just love the look of the Black-Tailed Buff Japanese. [​IMG]

5. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Quote:Definitely!

6. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    I would also take a Buff Rock over an BO any day of the week..oh wait a minute we do have a bunch of them [​IMG] and only 1 BO We also have a few EE's that are butter colored much more yellowish tan than the Buffs are.
    If you don't mind small eggs got to have a Silkie... got to have a Silkie they are beyond sweet,small,soft and cute!

7. plantguy90

Oct 4, 2009
    Moorpark, CA
    whats an EE? (newbie). I guess I'd like a butter/lemon color vs a "golden" one

8. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Quote:Easter Egger. They lay green eggs!

9. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Not sure where you live but buff orpington are very cold hardy and are great mothers if that is something your looking for.

10. plantguy90

Oct 4, 2009
    Moorpark, CA
    Right now I have 3 hens, just for fresh and healthier eggs, no rooster, no plans for fertile eggs. Live in warm part of central california, we get some frost every 10 years but average winter low is 39.

Just saw some pics of the BO online, they will do, whats a buff rock?

Last edited: Oct 6, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by