Are there breeds of chickens that crow less or not at all?

jokerone

In the Brooder
5 Years
Feb 24, 2014
I'm going to assume the answer is no, but I thought I would ask.

My wife has a no-rooster rule (she doesn't want to tick off the neighbors), and I tend to agree.

I thought perhaps there might be a breed that doesn't crow?

thanks.

No, there is not a breed that doesn't crow much or at all. However, their voices are like ours (some loud, some quiet of the same breed). You can go to a swap and see the roosters they have there. Because there are always several roosters you will be able to hear them crow and might find one with a very quiet crow or doesn't crow as much with other roosters around (when they crow the most). If you ever have a problem with crowing and a neighbors usually a dozen free farm fresh eggs does the trick.

Sorry, but no. Roosters crow, that's pretty much what they do. Not just in the morning, either!

If your wife is really concerned about noise, she needs to know hens aren't exactly quiet, either. My entire flock goes off on a chorus when an egg is laid--20 birds all singing, 20 times a day........

Sorry, but no. Roosters crow, that's pretty much what they do. Not just in the morning, either!

If your wife is really concerned about noise, she needs to know hens aren't exactly quiet, either. My entire flock goes off on a chorus when an egg is laid--20 birds all singing, 20 times a day........

Funny. I think for her its the idea of a rooster crowing before the sun comes up.
big_smile.png

The first night we had them outside in the coop they started making noises. I came home and she told me that "They started crying and I went outside and their were two owls in the tree above them.".

The next night I sat outside and heard them starting to "cry". I told my wife, it wasn't that they were crying because of the owls, its that they started crying and the owls heard it and showed up.
smile.png
That's what predators do.

Back
Top Bottom