Are there breeds that tend to be very independent?

Ponyiqandhens2

Songster
Nov 5, 2022
South Louisiana
Are there breeds that tend to be really independent? I have several that are well accepted, but still tend to spend more time out exploring on their own.
Old english game bantam- possible the most independent

Golden sebright hen ( much to the dis pleasure of her sebright rooster who loves her, but absolutely rarely mates with her - most of her eggs have not been fertilized praying have one in the incubator that is) she flies up to the top of my house to survey things at least once a day..considering our hawks well..

Crested cream legbar, ellen is always, always exploring..she naps with the flock, but i find her all over, well away from the flock..very cautious alerts about predators just like the roos ..

And
My milke fleur bearded belgian d'uccle..i dont think she is that independent- like chrissy from threes company, smart but very dingy.. and just gets involved and forgets to follow. She was at the edge of my horse pasture watching kids ride bikes.. just watching, after 5 minutes or so she looks around and runs/flies the 100 feet to the rest of the flock..

I think you’re describing a typical flock really. My flock tends to hang out together at the beginning and end of the day; the rest of the time they’re doing their own thing for the most part.

Back
Top Bottom