Are there hens that live a long and seemingly healthy life and never lay and egg in their lifetime?

carrieb62

Chirping
6 Years
Sep 16, 2013
I'm curious about this. I have a hen, her name is Gidget and she will be a year old next month. Looks like a hen, talks like a hen, walks like a hen and even Jax the rooster treats her like a hen. Gidget is a small banty and she was unusually smaller than the rest of my hens so I bought her a Serama rooster. There have been times where I've seen her sit in the nest box like she is getting ready to lay and egg but nothing has come out. She is a peppy little girl full of fire and sass! She's never had any illness or any sign of one since the day she was born. Has anyone ever had a hen go this long and not lay eggs?

I'm hoping late bloomer too! I can't help but wonder though if maybe something wrong genetically she won't be able to produce - she was & still is smaller than the other Dutch Bantam hens. I never want to get rid of her and was afraid of the roosters crushing her so I went out and bought her her very own rooster to keep her warm at night.

I'm hoping late bloomer too! I can't help but wonder though if maybe something wrong genetically she won't be able to produce - she was & still is smaller than the other Dutch Bantam hens. I never want to get rid of her and was afraid of the roosters crushing her so I went out and bought her her very own rooster to keep her warm at night.

Many hens like that sort of thing. :)

Since there are human females that never ovulate, doesn't it stand to reason that their chicken counterparts could occasionally do the same?

ahhh very true!!! I never thought of that! And Jax her rooster, being male.......well uhhh nevermind - I might make the guys here mad if I say what I'm thinking LOL

Back
Top Bottom