Are there side effects to the suprelorin injection?

Ry123

Songster
Feb 14, 2022
California, San Diego
Hi everyone so my hen has been sick for a while a took her to the vet because she was doing this position and was constantly looking like ahe was trying to push. She wasnt eating very much so i had to force feed her. Once the vet gave her amoxicillin and the implant injection she has perked up back to normal but has still not eaten. Did the antibiotic not work or is this a side effect? She is not doing this posture anymore. She had respiratory infection this is why she was prescribed amoxicillin. She has been sick since the 8th of May.
Screenshot_20240513_115322_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
Why did the vet give her the implant, exactly?
Did he check for egg binding or reproductive infection or cancer?
She gave her the implant so she could heal from her respiratory infection. She had a egg inside and couldn't push it out due to her respiratory infection. She she said with the I jection she would absorb the egg and could stop laying tp focus on her respiratory infection.

She might be mad about the vet. Mine was, and on the car ride home she was panting so much I thought she was dying. give her some treats and scrambled eggs with her food and she might perk up.

She gave her the implant so she could heal from her respiratory infection. She had a egg inside and couldn't push it out due to her respiratory infection. She she said with the I jection she would absorb the egg and could stop laying tp focus on her respiratory infection.
I've never heard that. Eggs don't reabsorb, what shot is supposed to cause the egg to reabsorb? The hormone implant?
Did the vet check to see how far the egg was in the reproductive tract? Any supportive care for egg binding? I.e calcium, electrolytes etc? Is the egg broken?
Is the amoxicillin for the respiratory infection?

I've never heard that. Eggs don't reabsorb, what shot is supposed to cause the egg to reabsorb? The hormone implant?
Did the vet check to see how far the egg was in the reproductive tract? Any supportive care for egg binding? I.e calcium, electrolytes etc? Is the egg broken?
Is the amoxicillin for the respiratory infection?
Yes the Amoxicillin is for the resperatory infection. The veterinarian just said that the egg should reabsorb.she checked to feel the egg and said it would be good to give her the hormone vaccine. She gave me amoxicillin and the vaccine and that was all.

Last edited:
Hi everyone so my hen has been sick for a while a took her to the vet because she was doing this position and was constantly looking like ahe was trying to push. She wasnt eating very much so i had to force feed her. Once the vet gave her amoxicillin and the implant injection she has perked up back to normal but has still not eaten. Did the antibiotic not work or is this a side effect? She is not doing this posture anymore. She had respiratory infection this is why she was prescribed amoxicillin. She has been sick since the 8th of May.View attachment 3841711

Yes the Amoxicillin is for the resperatory infection. The veterinarian just said that the egg should reabsorb.she checked to feel the egg and said it would be good to give her the hormone vaccine. She gave me amoxicillin and the vaccine and that was all.
Can you see an Avian Vet that is versed in Poultry?

What is the respiratory infection - is it Mycoplasma? Infectious Bronchitis? Coryza?
Pneumonia?

Amoxicillin is not the choice to treat most respiratory diseases.

I think there may be a miscommunication going on here - you need to re-visit this vet, sit down with them and have them explain exactly what these treatments are for.

Can you see an Avian Vet that is versed in Poultry?

What is the respiratory infection - is it Mycoplasma? Infectious Bronchitis? Coryza?
Pneumonia?

Amoxicillin is not the choice to treat most respiratory diseases.

I think there may be a miscommunication going on here - you need to re-visit this vet, sit down with them and have them explain exactly what these treatments are for.
I went to a vet that specializes in birds. When I went the Vet told me they weren't sure of exactly what type of respiratory infection it was. So they told me to give her amoxicillin to see if that helps and if it didn't to go back and get another check up and a different medication. I had called the vet I believe 2 days ago to confirm everything and this is what they told me. the overall conversation was summarized on the link that @alinas2010 has posted! on page 5 of what exactly was said to me by the vet.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom