Are these all pullets? 2 RIR, 2 BCM, 1 BR

Sheri460

Chirping
Mar 11, 2021
I'm pretty sure my 5 ladies are pullets, but can anyone with experience please take a glance and tell me if you think otherwise? They are 5 weeks old today and the RIRs and BCMs are all close to the same size, the barred rock is much smaller but she's the fiestiest. I don't really see any wattles yet, only peach colored combs on all of them. They all seem pretty healthy and happy! They've graduated from living room to the garage and I hope to have them out in their coop by the end of April (2 weeks). I'm in Kentucky and our lows are still getting down in the upper 30s so I want to wait a bit longer. They're used to 60-70 at this point. Thanks in advance!
IMG_20210412_070300971.jpg
IMG_20210412_070641592.jpg
IMG_20210412_071245739.jpg
IMG_20210412_071254399.jpg
IMG_20210412_071317506.jpg
IMG_20210412_071325400.jpg

Photo 1: RIR: Rose on roost, Brigid standing next to roost
Photo 2: Brigid
Photo 3: Clare (we call her Bellbottoms) BCM
Photo 4: Agnes on left, Clare on right
Photo 5: Therese, BR
Photo 6: Clare

Last edited:
Nice pics! So far yes, I think all pullets.
BTW since they are 5 weeks and all so fully feathered, there’s no need to wait to put them out in coop. They’ll be fine. Really!

Nice pics! So far yes, I think all pullets.
BTW since they are 5 weeks and all so fully feathered, there’s no need to wait to put them out in coop. They’ll be fine. Really!
Thank you! Ugh, I think I know that, I think I'm the one that's struggling with letting them go to the coop. Ha! We have to finish the roosts in the coop and then it's ready for them. We're finishing the run next weekend... I've read that you should keep them in the coop (and out of the run) for awhile so they know that's home and go back there at dusk. But how long should you keep the in coop before letting them have free reign of the coop and run? Thanks for any advise!

Looking like Pullets. The BSL’s are definitely girls due to their feathers colouring. :)
Are you talking about the BCMs? I think Agnes looks a little like a BSL too, the one with the copper around her neck. But I've been told by others she's a BCM because of the feathers on her feet. When I bought her and the other BCM I was told they were black australorps. Ha!

I'm pretty sure my 5 ladies are pullets, but can anyone with experience please take a glance and tell me if you think otherwise? They are 5 weeks old today and the RIRs and BCMs are all close to the same size, the barred rock is much smaller but she's the fiestiest. I don't really see any wattles yet, only peach colored combs on all of them. They all seem pretty healthy and happy! They've graduated from living room to the garage and I hope to have them out in their coop by the end of April (2 weeks). I'm in Kentucky and our lows are still getting down in the upper 30s so I want to wait a bit longer. They're used to 60-70 at this point. Thanks in advance!View attachment 2611939View attachment 2611940View attachment 2611941View attachment 2611942View attachment 2611943View attachment 2611944

Photo 1: RIR: Rose on roost, Brigid standing next to roost
Photo 2: Brigid
Photo 3: Clare (we call her Bellbottoms) BCM
Photo 4: Agnes on left, Clare on right
Photo 5: Therese, BR
Photo 6: Clare
They all look like pullets to me

Thank you! Ugh, I think I know that, I think I'm the one that's struggling with letting them go to the coop. Ha! We have to finish the roosts in the coop and then it's ready for them. We're finishing the run next weekend... I've read that you should keep them in the coop (and out of the run) for awhile so they know that's home and go back there at dusk. But how long should you keep the in coop before letting them have free reign of the coop and run? Thanks for any advise!
Ah, it’s not finished then, we’ve been there done that too.
I think keep them in at least one day and night. If it’s roomy enuf, 2 or 3 days and nights. What I’ve seen w mine is that if they feel it is their home, they will carefully orient themselves so they know how to get back in. Chickens are pretty smart.....

Ah, it’s not finished then, we’ve been there done that too.
I think keep them in at least one day and night. If it’s roomy enuf, 2 or 3 days and nights. What I’ve seen w mine is that if they feel it is their home, they will carefully orient themselves so they know how to get back in. Chickens are pretty smart.....
Awesome! It's roomy, but I'm sure they'll love roaming around the run, so I was hoping I didn't need to keep them "cooped" up too long :) Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom