Are these ancona or magpies?

Floof

Crowing
8 Years
Sep 28, 2015
Last month I picked up some discount ducks from TSC. I'm pretty sure I have 2 pekins (one male and one female) but the other 3 have me guessing between ancona or magpie. What do you think? There is a discernable difference in size between the 3 splotchy ones. The ones with the more clear saddle and head patch are much larger than the 3rd splotchy duck. I assumed the first 2 are probably magpie males (they sound more raspy every day). The smallest of the group is the randomly splotchy duck (hopefully female!). What do you all think I have here?

(And for those concerned, no they don't live in this tub)
20210602_212651.jpg
20210602_212658.jpg
20210602_212704.jpg
20210602_212655.jpg

Last month I picked up some discount ducks from TSC. I'm pretty sure I have 2 pekins (one male and one female) but the other 3 have me guessing between ancona or magpie. What do you think? There is a discernable difference in size between the 3 splotchy ones. The ones with the more clear saddle and head patch are much larger than the 3rd splotchy duck. I assumed the first 2 are probably magpie males (they sound more raspy every day). The smallest of the group is the randomly splotchy duck (hopefully female!). What do you all think I have here?

(And for those concerned, no they don't live in this tub)View attachment 2701328View attachment 2701329View attachment 2701331View attachment 2701330
Ancona (most likely)

They look like my Magpies at that age; HOWEVER, I am convinced that there is some Ancona in their line, because they are mostly overmarked and some have excessive black. So that is likely the case with yours as well- mostly Magpie with some big hatchery Ancona slipping in there at some point. Mine were from Purely Poultry, so similar I am guessing. None of mine had the spotted head markings like that smallest one though. All of mine had mostly full caps. I love this breed and am wanting to get some better stock soon to add to my flock- better in terms of breed standard, not health- all of my babies have done surprisingly well.

Here is a picture. Same as my profile pic.
duckies.jpg

They look like my Magpies at that age; HOWEVER, I am convinced that there is some Ancona in their line, because they are mostly overmarked and some have excessive black. So that is likely the case with yours as well- mostly Magpie with some big hatchery Ancona slipping in there at some point. Mine were from Purely Poultry, so similar I am guessing. None of mine had the spotted head markings like that smallest one though. All of mine had mostly full caps. I love this breed and am wanting to get some better stock soon to add to my flock- better in terms of breed standard, not health- all of my babies have done surprisingly well.

Here is a picture. Same as my profile pic.
View attachment 2723217
20210614_210030.jpg

So 2 of them look a lot like yours. I guess time will tell but I'm suspecting they're a different breed from the tiny one. They're sounding more and more male every day so I won't be able to keep them anyway.

Back
Top Bottom