ARE THESE BEAUTIFUL BABIES REALLY BUFF ORPINGTONS!!??!!! NEED OPINIONS PLEASE!!!!! I wanted Buff O

I can't comment on the roo/pullet question but I have a silver comet/red star/RSL- and she is fabulous. By far the most tame of all of our chickens, because she was hand raised by my sister. She is super quiet- the only time I hear any of them is when they want out of their coop in the morning. She lays and egg everyday. And my 3 yr old can walk out into the yard and pet her. If they are hens- they could be fabulous too!

Kelsie....I got them from a farm here in Florida. She has many different breeds of chickens. She said she deals with a hatchery in Texas and said that she orders them sexed - Hens only. I will continue to socialize them. Thanks.
Problem with paying extra for sexing is that it is has a 5% chance for error. Here's some pics of one of our BO's, she was hatched on the 19th

Hey now!!!! I know where you sleep!
lau.gif

I'll concur with those who say keep socializing them -- even my 2nd hand hens are pretty darn quiet and not too skittish. Too lazy, I think ;) The 'red girls' as I call them are a mix of RIRs and Sussex and they're just downright friendly and nosy, but rarely LOUD. I used to own a parrot...now THAT is a loud bird! My barred girls are much smaller, and though they do make less noise, are kamakaze INSANE when it comes to running around and acting loony. Neither set of birds were 'hand raised', so I think the temperament of the red birds is just less 'flighty' in general, but YMMV.

Last edited:

Here are two buff opringtons. Though I recently found out they are not pure bred, as they have yellow legs like someone else pointed out. Though honestly, my buff orpington roo is the loudest crowing chicken ever to live. We live around other chickens and I occasionally here other roosters crow, while him... he crows ALL the time. Just give them time and see if they are "loud and skittish".

Back
Top Bottom