Are these both barred rock?

Calisunshine

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 22, 2014

I have one hen laying a dark brown egg and I'm trying to figure it out who it is! Are these both barred rock?

The dark brown egg must come from one of these girls!

Last edited:
Yep, those are both barred rocks sometimes their egg color can vary i have one RIR that lays a dark brown egg and the other one lays an egg with with more of a tan coloring.

Those are not Barred Rocks. Barred Rocks have yellow legs. The light slate legs identify them as Cuckoo Marans hens, which lay dark brown eggs, commonly referred to as chocolate eggs. One of these two CMs is your dark brown egg layer.

Those are not Barred Rocks. Barred Rocks have yellow legs. The light slate legs identify them as Cuckoo Marans hens, which lay dark brown eggs, commonly referred to as chocolate eggs. One of these two CMs is your dark brown egg layer.
X3 on this.

I was wondering about this, also. The leg color looks dark, but I'm not sure if it's just washed out from being at the end of a laying cycle and needing to molt and replenish. Cause I was thinking the culprit could be the Welsummer hen, front right in the middle pic, but again her legs look the same as the barred birds' do.

I have 3 Cuckoo Marans that everyone, including me, thought were BR's. The white legs and uneven barring make them Marans. I have 2 BR hens as well. None are laying but the dark brown eggs mean Marans. Barred Rocks will have more even barring.

Back
Top Bottom