Are these chicks hens or roo?

May 25, 2021
Edmond (Snohomish County) WA
All of these chicks are about 1 month and a half old. The first 4 pics are a Buckeye (I am really suspecting that she's he), the next 3 pics are Silver Leghorn (Maybe a hen?), the 4 pics following is a Leghorn hybrid, and the last set of photos are Cinnamon Queen.
IMG-1538.jpg
IMG-1537.jpg
IMG-1533.jpg
IMG-1532.jpg
IMG-1540.jpg
IMG-1546.jpg
IMG-1543.jpg
IMG-1548.jpg
IMG-1550.jpg
IMG-1551.jpg
IMG-1553.jpg
IMG-1556.jpg
IMG-1558.jpg
IMG-1559.jpg
IMG-1563.jpg

1 - fairly confident roo
2 - pullet
3 - pullet
4 - could go either way at this point, I'd wait a week and see if that comb gets redder
Do you know any way to make a rooster not crow without giving it any really hard pain? Where we live we're not allowed to have any roosters because they're too loud, so if the rooster won't crow, we can keep it.

Do you know any way to make a rooster not crow without giving it any really hard pain? Where we live we're not allowed to have any roosters because they're too loud, so if the rooster won't crow, we can keep it.
On the subject of if they will crow or not, it's kinda dependent on the rooster. Some crow a lot, some a little, but I find that nearly all of them do crow to some extent.

Unfortunately, it is not possible to train a roo to not crow. They can be suppressed to an extent if they are a subordinate roo, but that just creates another problem of your main roo crowing.

There exists a product called a "no-crow collar" that sits on your roos neck. It effectively limits his ability to expel air so he can still crow, but it won't be as loud. Now, I do want to offer a fair warning on these products - if installed incorrectly, this can easily kill rooster. Even if installed completely correctly, there is still risk associated with them. Please research these heavily before going this route.

Back
Top Bottom