Are these eggs old? Do they really need to be in the fridge??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by arwmommy, Feb 15, 2009.

1. arwmommy

arwmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2007
    California
    OK, here's the deal. I have 8 hens (no roo's), 1 is an EE and last year when she started laying she refused to lay in the nest boxes. She instead laid in a corner of the coop that is hard to get to. Since she is our only EE, we loved the blue eggs, and were sad that we had a hard time getting to them, or even seeing them sometimes!

DH blocked off that area of the coop, and she was MAD! She stopped laying altogether rather than to cave into the "humans" and lay in the stupid nest boxes. [​IMG] She had been on strike for a couple of months, and then it was winter and almost none of them were laying, so we took out the wood that blocked off that small corner area she loved.

Well guess what? I just found 5 eggs back there! .......sigh...... I guess we will have to block it off again, but my main question is that:

DD REALLY wants me to cook these special blue eggs for her! Is it OK? These eggs are now between 1-5 days old, the temps here have been (low) in the high 30's and (high) in the mid 50's for the last few days.

I remember that my grandmother used to just keep the eggs on her counter for days with no refrigeration, so I tend to think they are OK, but thought I would ask the experts.

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

If you are sure they are less than 5 days old with no cracks, they should be just fine.

I don't know for sure if she was sitting on them.

Imp

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Probably fine. I always break each egg into a separate little bowl first, just in case there's a bad one. I sniff them while in the little bowl and look them over. If it smells funny, I throw it out.

I have a RIR who goes way back under the coop to lay- and when I blocked it off, she started laying from the roost- 5 feet above the floor! I removed the block, and now I crawl under again.........

Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
  4. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    The temps you mention practically qualify as refrigeration anyway, they should be fine.

5. MullersLaneFarm

MullersLaneFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2008
    NW IL Fiber Enabler
    When in doubt, try to 'float' the eggs.

Fill the sink with warm water, place the eggs on the bottom.

If they lay flat, they're fine. If they tilt up, they're a bit old and wonderful for hardboiled eggs.

If they float, give them to the pigs ....

6. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    We never refrigerate eggs, except in the 90+ of summer. The eggs can be 4 weeks old and still perfect.

Matt

7. rmansker

rmansker Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2008
    Atlanta GA
    We usually have about a two week old supply of eggs at any given time and they are never refrigerated and have yet to find a bad one. We will do the float test on some of the older ones to make sure before we use them though. Some we have had over 3 weeks and have still been fine.

8. arwmommy

Apr 13, 2007
    California
    Thanks guys! You are all so brilliant!

I gave them to my mom, grandma, and even kept one for my DD!

Thanks again!

9. arwmommy

Apr 13, 2007
    California
    edit cause I'm a dork and posted on the wrong thread.....

Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
  10. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    Quote:I wonder why it's called "floating" the eggs. Unless they're bad, you're not floating them, you're sinking them!

I always wonder why it's not called "the sinking test".

It works great, though. Occasionally I have a fresh egg tip up a bit, (I wash all my eggs in a sink full of soapy water, so they all get "the sinking test") but then I look closer, and so far, it always turns out they have small cracks in the shells.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by