Are these feather mite eggs?

I know I keep harping on but you don't need to cut off his feathers. The harkamectin kills everything crawling so treat him as I said, then ten days later, when the eggs have hatched, treat him again.....simple! The stuff then stays in the system and prevents re-infestation. You should ALWAYS treat all birds as soon as you have found bugs on one bird, whatever the bug.

You will need to clean out the coop and run as mentioned and I would highly recommend Diatomaceous Earth being sprinkled liberally around them afterwards as a preventative.

There really is no need to spoil the look of your lovely cockerel when the treatment will get rid of the problem. I do speak from experience, I promise.....I worried like mad the first time I found those egg clusters but followed the advise given to me, which I am now passing on to you, and all was well in short shrift
big_smile.png

Those are lice eggs. My chickens had lice last fall and the eggs looked just like that. Give your chickens a dust bath to help get rid of the lice. Also, clean your coop to get rid of any lice that fell off the chickens.

Our flock is just getting over a lice infestation. We have found that the best thing to kill lice is garlic spray! We sprayed a lot onto the clusters of eggs, and they turned dark gray and died.

Here is the link to the spray we use. http://www.fresh-eggs-daily.com/2013/02/mites-how-to-prevent-them-and-treat.html

We modified the recipe a little and ended up with this:

To make Natural Mite Garlic Juice Spray you will need:
10 ounces of water
1 head of garlic
1 teaspoon (total) any combination of these essential oils - cinnamon, clove, lavender, peppermint, tea tree and thyme
1/4 tsp of Basic H
Mix garlic and water in blender, strain through a cloth in a sieve, and add essential oils and Basic H. pour into a spray bottle and spray hens bi-weekly as a preventative or every other day for two to three weeks in the case of an infestation. Concentrate around the vent and under the wings.

Basic H is not super important (It just kills the lice faster), so If you don't have it in England, any other dish soap would work in place of Basic H.

Wood ashes also work, but they work much slower and take a lot longer to apply.

As for cleaning your coop, take all the bedding out and scrub down the inside of coop. Let it dry and spray either the garlic spray or Neem oil everywhere! The let that dry and put fresh bedding in and spray that down as well.

Also sprinkling dried herbs in the bedding and nest boxes helps repel all nasty little creepy crawlies. :)

Hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom