Are these ISAs? What gender?

kaninchen

Chirping
8 Years
Aug 15, 2013
I have 5 chickens that I purchased straight run of "ISAs". The man I got them from said the roosters have longer neck feathers, so he thought I might have 2 roosters in the 5 he gave me. I think I might have 4 roosters though since 4 of them have really long tails that stick up and arch a bit, 1 has a short curly tail. I've heard some could be trying to crow noises, but I'm not sure since I've never had chickens before.. We're a little unsure of the age. Per the ad on July 18th, "Also have 8 week old ISAs, Barred Rocks & 1 Americauna (blue/green egg shells) for $5 each". Per the email he sent, hatched on his farm Jun 10 (9+weeks today). They are still growing in some feathers and if you lift up the top feathers a bit, it's still little tiny fuzzy feathers under there. A friend from church said they looked like they were around 5 months old and should be giving pullet eggs soon. We're also questioning if they are really ISAs and if they are male or female.

So, my questions:
1. ISAs?
2. Cockerels or Pullets?
3. Age?

Snow in the back (suspected male), Angel or Nameless in the front

LB in the back center (suspect male)

Angel or Nameless (not sure) on left, Snow in the back, and LB on the right

Spot (almost certain female)

Snow front & center

Nameless

Angel

Group

ISA Browns are sex links and sexable at hatch.

The ISA Brown is a terminal cross, which means it cannot go forward, if bred back to each other. Sex Linking is a one time deal with these. If someone is selling ISA Browns where the males and females can't be sexed like the male and female shown above? They aren't selling ISA Browns, but a "mix-mutt" of their own invention.

Last edited:
Honestly, they look to be generic, home made production reds. Selling them as ISA's is false attempt to give them a "name" that lends some credibility or recognition to them.

Hey, they're chickens. They'll do what chickens do. But, if you bought straight runs, you'll have your fair share, perhaps more than your fair share of cockerels.

I'm thinking someone got ahold of Isa Browns, didn't know you can't breed them again for more Isa Browns, and gave you the next generation.

It's a one-time hybrid. Once you breed them again, the genetics fall apart and you get a mishmash of reddish birds.

I'm thinking someone got ahold of Isa Browns, didn't know you can't breed them again for more Isa Browns, and gave you the next generation. It's a one-time hybrid. Once you breed them again, the genetics fall apart and you get a mishmash of reddish birds.

Well, I've bred them many times. You don't get birds like this, necessarily. These contain a whole lot of production red. But your point is well taken, These are not what they were purported to be. Caveat Emptor.

They look to be of various ages, between 11 and 15 weeks.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, but every bird I see looks male. They look more like what I'd think a red sex link hen bred to a Red rooster would produce, but I've not done that cross so that's just my imagination. They're not 5 months old, and they're all male.

I'm sorry, but every bird I see looks male. They look more like what I'd think a red sex link hen bred to a Red rooster would produce, but I've not done that cross so that's just my imagination. They're not 5 months old, and they're all male.

I believe you're right donrae. Look like 5 cockerels. 12 weeks give or take.

Oh no. Those definitely won't give me the eggs I'm looking for. I was hoping they'd be isas like the guy said so that since they were red, I'd have all girls. I guess I'll keep them a couple more months just to be sure, but not get my hopes up too high.

Back
Top Bottom