Are these large roundworms?

Feb 14, 2021
Arkansas
Found this large poo this morning with what looks like angel hair pasta in it:

IMG_8751.JPG

If this is roundworms... do I have to treat the whole flock? And what is best to treat with? And I assume I can't eat the eggs for a while?

Yes, that is a large round worm. Use Valbazen 1/2 ml orally for a 5-6 pound hen once, and repeat in 14 days. Toas eggs for a total of 24 days, although some people tend to ignore that. SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer 1/4 ml per pound can also be used once and again in 10 days to get roundworms, or for 5 straight days to get more serious worms. Same egg withdrawal of 14 days after treatment. If one has roundworms, the larvae are everywhere and you can assume others have them.

i would treat the whole flock anyway,i wouldnt eat eggs for a while.
Gotcha. 🙂 Glad we have extra eggs right now.

Yes, that is a large round worm. Use Valbazen 1/2 ml orally for a 5-6 pound hen once, and repeat in 14 days. Toas eggs for a total of 24 days, although some people tend to ignore that. SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer 1/4 ml per pound can also be used once and again in 10 days to get roundworms, or for 5 straight days to get more serious worms. Same egg withdrawal of 14 days after treatment. If one has roundworms, the larvae are everywhere and you can assume others have them.
Oh wow, thank you.

Another method is levamisole as in post 2 of this thread:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/ringworm-in-poop.1476119/
Thank you! So with this one, you don't have to retreat in a week or two to get the newly hatched worms? I'm leaning toward this one because I don't want to have to try to catch them, squirt a dose of something down their throats, and accidentally get it down their windpipe. 😬 Putting it in water seems like an easier way to go. (Also finishing up treating the flock with Corid for coccidiosis, and that will be finished Saturday. Can this be used right after that?) And is this fine for four-month-old pullets and roosters?

I know its been a while since I last posted, but one quick follow up question. Our feed store told me that Corrid is a dewormer, and that's why I suddenly saw the worms in poop - the Corrid did its job. Because of that, I didn't use another dewormer on the chickens. I'm beginning to wonder. Were they correct?

I know its been a while since I last posted, but one quick follow up question. Our feed store told me that Corrid is a dewormer, and that's why I suddenly saw the worms in poop - the Corrid did its job. Because of that, I didn't use another dewormer on the chickens. I'm beginning to wonder. Were they correct?
Corid is not a dewormer, it's a coccidiostat used to treat coccidiosis infections. You're going to need an actual dewormer like SafeGuard.

Corid is not a dewormer, it's a coccidiostat used to treat coccidiosis infections. You're going to need an actual dewormer like SafeGuard.
This explains a lot. I bet this is why one of my hens is sick. **kicking myself** So how do you get the dewormer down a chicken without squirting it into the windpipe? Also I assume it's safe to deworm while the chickens are going through a molt?

This explains a lot. I bet this is why one of my hens is sick. **kicking myself** So how do you get the dewormer down a chicken without squirting it into the windpipe? Also I assume it's safe to deworm while the chickens are going through a molt?
Not sure on the molt question. Here's a diagram of poultry mouths. The hole in the middle is the airway. Keep away from that. The hole the syringe is going into is the way to the crop.
2E58EFC7-81BD-4ADE-88BC-5E00F907A388_1_105_c.jpeg

When I deworm, I put liquid dewormer onto little pieces of bread and separate the birds one at a time to eat the wormer-bread.

Not sure on the molt question. Here's a diagram of poultry mouths. The hole in the middle is the airway. Keep away from that. The hole the syringe is going into is the way to the crop.
View attachment 2820389
When I deworm, I put liquid dewormer onto little pieces of bread and separate the birds one at a time to eat the wormer-bread.
Wormer bread sounds like the way to go! I have one hen who quit eating, so I'll probably have to try to dose her, and that's making me a nervous wreck. Thanks for the photo, that's very helpful! How do you her her mouth to open like that?

I asked about the molt because the ill one is molting. I'll probably go ahead with it because she's bad off and I dont have anything to lose at this point.
(Also, it would be nice to deworm everyone once everyone is molting because I won't have to worry about tossing eggs since there shouldn't be any. 😅)

Back
Top Bottom