Are these lice.

Sparkway

Songster
10 Years
Jul 12, 2013
Essex County New Jersey
[[/B]Got this coop off craigslist and sent a friend to pick it up first mistake. It's been in my drive way 5 ft from my backyard fence. I opened up this morn to clean and saw these.

Not a great pic since they are moving. What is next step. I am leaving for 2 wk vacation. So no birds will be near it. What can I do to begin the extermination process. I'm sorry I know this has been answered already but want to def identify these. If pic is no good will try more
Thanks Anthony

Last edited:
Lice do not survive long off of a chickens body....a better pic might help to positively identify them, do you have a macro setting on your camera?

...Or.... you could cover the inside of the whole coop with sevin spray and that will kill any bug that touches it. Might (Mite-haha) not be a bad idea as there may be other things living in the cracks and crevices that you can't see....like Mites.

Lice do not survive long off of a chickens body....a better pic might help to positively identify them, do you have a macro setting on your camera?

...Or.... you could cover the inside of the whole coop with sevin spray and that will kill any bug that touches it. Might (Mite-haha) not be a bad idea as there may be other things living in the cracks and crevices that you can't see....like Mites.

I soaked it with Sevin spray. And they're were still some alive. I sprayed again will check it in morning. I bought the dust too. I will get a better pic tomorrow but hopefully none will be camera ready lol

Here is a pic of a dead one. It looks like Plankton from SpongeBob lol. Those are antennae. Some survived the Sevin spray but then I dusted today with Sevin. Many more dead. Chickens haven't been in the coop for weeks. Hope this pic helps. I'm thinking maybe some kind of wood bug, since the coop has been sitting empty for a bit. What can I use to fill crevices inside ?
Thanks
Anthony

Last edited:
If chicken haven't been in the coop for weeks, I doubt there is anything in there that would bother chickens.

Back
Top Bottom