Are these mites/nits on my button quail?

Thanks for the suggestions, I'm pretty sure the mites came from an old bag of egg food so that's been thrown away, and I'll be on a big cleaning mission tomorrow.

I was thinking of grabbing some food grade DE and maybe using it in their sand bath or around their home. The only thing is they're in a large vivarium inside our flat, so I was wondering if ventilation/breathing it in might be an issue.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'm pretty sure the mites came from an old bag of egg food so that's been thrown away, and I'll be on a big cleaning mission tomorrow.

I was thinking of grabbing some food grade DE and maybe using it in their sand bath or around their home. The only thing is they're in a large vivarium inside our flat, so I was wondering if ventilation/breathing it in might be an issue.
You don’t want to put de in an enclosed space, it shouldn’t be inhaled.

Have you tried getting a mite (scaly face) treatment? Spot ons. The stuff they use for budgies. Its active ingredient is Ivermectin. Your buttons are probably about the same size? Although if you use it, then there’s a withdrawal period for eggs. It’s marketed as Avimec in Australia. Not sure about where you are.

I’m not sure the birds themselves have mites, I’ve cleaned up the vivarium and room it’s in so hopefully no more grain mites in the environment. Still a mystery as to what is causing the scruffy feathers.

Back
Top Bottom