Are these okay to plant inside birds enclosure?

There is no way to know for sure but in my experience with birds is that they don't eat things that are bad for them given a choice. If the willow is the only thing they have to eat, they will eat it but kept with fresh feed, they won't. We have a lot of pokeweed here and the chickens occasionally eat many of the poisonous parts with no negative results.

Our birds just love the poke berries.
IMG_8628.JPG
IMG_8564.JPG
IMG_8561.JPG

I planted arundo on the west side of our pens for shade, not inside of the pen but on the outside so it gives them shade all afternoon and evening. It does need to be cut down every winter but it is very hearty, looks nice, and provides a nice wind break. You need to be careful of planting anything, especially bamboo inside of the pens. Fast or tall growing plants will grow through the top netting and tear it to shreds. BTW, peas love to eat bamboo and arundo.View attachment 3237445
I think I will plant on the outside , Thanks. :)

Birds have no way of knowing what is good or bad just what is available and what tastes bad. They will happily eat indigestible things such as pieces of plastic and styrofoam.
That is very true. They will eat something when their crop is empty, whether that is feed, bark, bedding or any nasty plant available. That is why it is important to keep feed available all waking hours.

One thing you can do is plant a vine prior to introducing the birds and let it get settled and start growing. I planted American Bittersweet at the base of an elm tree to let it climb. The elm tree died and the stump is now integrated into a pen. The vine survived and now completely covers the netting on one pen and is working on another. It's non toxic and the birds seem to appreciate the shade.

One thing you can do is plant a vine prior to introducing the birds and let it get settled and start growing. I planted American Bittersweet at the base of an elm tree to let it climb. The elm tree died and the stump is now integrated into a pen. The vine survived and now completely covers the netting on one pen and is working on another. It's non toxic and the birds seem to appreciate the shade.
Ooh I didn't think about that, Thanks :)

Back
Top Bottom