Are these pharaohs or something else?

Yes

In the Brooder
Jun 12, 2023
Hello! I'm new to hatching quail here. Recently got some eggs from a friend and these two popped out!

Quail Picture 1.jpg

Would I be correct to call the color variety of these two birds pharaoh? I'm a bit confused because one of the birds has a black stomach and black legs, while the other has a yellow stomach and orange legs.

Quail Picture 2.jpg

Or maybe they are both different color varieties? What do you guys think?

Quail Picture 3.jpg

This is what they look like from the side.

I thought Tibetans are supposed to be solid colored. This chick has the kind of stripey pattern that I see in pictures of pharaoh chicks.
Would having that pattern disqualify the chick from being a Tibetan, or is it another variation that can happen?

I think it's too early to tell too but I look forward to watching them change over the next few weeks. Will you post weekly pics of these two?
Sure! I'm excited to see how they will change as they grow up.

This is a more recent picture of them where the one with the black feet (on the left) has started developing a more distinct head pattern. It looks a little like a broken diamond! I wonder if the lines will eventually join together to create a full diamond. :lau

Quail (3 to 4 days old).jpg

Does the darker chick have yellow eyebrows at all? That chick will probably fall somewhere between pharoah and Rosetta, but lean towards pharaoh with lots of lacing and pencilling on the feathers, it may or may not be feather sexable.

Back
Top Bottom