Are these pharaohs or something else?

Does the darker chick have yellow eyebrows at all? That chick will probably fall somewhere between pharoah and Rosetta, but lean towards pharaoh with lots of lacing and pencilling on the feathers, it may or may not be feather sexable.
Not sure what you mean by yellow eyebrows but here they are from the side.
Quail side (4 to 5 days old).jpg

The one with the black feet is on the right.

Not sure what you mean by yellow eyebrows but here they are from the side.
View attachment 3543821
The one with the black feet is on the right.
BA7C36A8-CB34-41C4-9CD5-34CA357FEC81.png

Range pattern birds have “eyebrows”when they’re chicks. If there’s no sign of eye brows, it’ll have a good chance of being feather sexable. Sometimes I’ve seen a male that carries one copy of roux will look more reddish as a chick and as an adult, but I honestly never cared for wild pattern so I had mostly range tuxes and Italians, so I don’t have any photos of wild pattern males that carried 1 copy of roux.

Range pattern birds have “eyebrows”when they’re chicks. If there’s no sign of eye brows, it’ll have a good chance of being feather sexable. Sometimes I’ve seen a male that carries one copy of roux will look more reddish as a chick and as an adult, but I honestly never cared for wild pattern so I had mostly range tuxes and Italians, so I don’t have any photos of wild pattern males that carried 1 copy of roux.
No they don't have those eyebrows. So it seems that range is out.

Caught them sleeping like this and I thought it was very cute so I wanted to share :p

View attachment 3545653
Yeah they are so cute. I have no idea what they are at this point will love to see them in a week or so. My babies are about a week and a half old and are already starting to fly lol. Also if you ever walk up on them and they look dead don’t worry they really like to sleep dead especially for the first 2-3 weeks my adults still do it lol.

Wow...how did you read my mind. I thought it was too morbid so I didn't say it but when I first stumbled upon them like that, I was absolutely horrified and shocked because I thought they had just died on me.
Then I saw them breathing, so whew. Yes I know now not to worry. :celebrate

Wow...how did you read my mind. I thought it was too morbid so I didn't say it but when I first stumbled upon them like that, I was absolutely horrified and shocked because I thought they had just died on me.
Then I saw them breathing, so whew. Yes I know now not to worry. :celebrate
Lol I freaked out the first time when I saw them like that I walked up to my brooder and all 6 of the babies I had were sleeping dead and I about lost it then I reached in to see what was wrong with them and they all popped up perfectly fine lol and I was like oh I guess that’s just how they sleep and from then on I knew they were just sleeping. But I hope you find out what your babies are soon will be keeping an eye on this thread to see if you do. And if you watch them go to sleep like I did one time they just stumble and flop into that position sometimes so it looks like they died in front of you lol.

Lol I freaked out the first time when I saw them like that I walked up to my brooder and all 6 of the babies I had were sleeping dead and I about lost it then I reached in to see what was wrong with them and they all popped up perfectly fine lol and I was like oh I guess that’s just how they sleep and from then on I knew they were just sleeping. But I hope you find out what your babies are soon will be keeping an eye on this thread to see if you do. And if you watch them go to sleep like I did one time they just stumble and flop into that position sometimes so it looks like they died in front of you lol.
I can imagine how you felt. I would absolutely be so horrified if I saw 6 chicks looking as though they just died.
Sometimes when I hold my birds they close their eyes and go limp. It's so scary and I always wonder if they just died. I'm curious if all of this is a survival mechanism that quail chicks use to stop predators from eating them. Something like playing possum.

I can imagine how you felt. I would absolutely be so horrified if I saw 6 chicks looking as though they just died.
Sometimes when I hold my birds they close their eyes and go limp. It's so scary and I always wonder if they just died. I'm curious if all of this is a survival mechanism that quail chicks use to stop predators from eating them. Something like playing possum.
It’s possible to be honest I never thought about it being a defense mechanism it very well could be.

Back
Top Bottom