Are These Roost Mites??!

pupsforlife

In the Brooder
Mar 26, 2021
I regularly check my birds for lice/mites. I’ve never seen anything on them. Recently, while collecting eggs, I saw very small, fast moving bugs on a couple eggs in the nest box. I freaked out, checked my birds—nothing on them. That night I went into the coop with a flashlight and saw a lot of these bugs crawling on the roosts and walls. I checked the birds. Nothing. I checked under the roosts for blood smears. Nothing. I went ahead and treated the birds and coop with Elector PSP. I saw more bugs last night on the roosts, but still nothing on the birds. I also saw these same bugs crawling al over my compost pile about a month or 2 ago. I plan on treating again, at 5 day intervals. I’m also planning on using sulfur in the coop and dust bathing areas. So, what are these bugs?? I know they’re not lice. It seems they *should be* Northern fowl mites or red roost mites. But they don’t seem to be biting my birds. Any help greatly appreciated!

Tried to get pictures. The second picture has several mites in it, you just have to zoom in to see them.

Attachments

• 8142F522-BC06-43F3-A74D-5EB587A28BFD.jpeg
    8142F522-BC06-43F3-A74D-5EB587A28BFD.jpeg
    597.5 KB · Views: 57
  • 34D3BD42-A828-40BB-9F8C-09E937B73FE9.jpeg
    34D3BD42-A828-40BB-9F8C-09E937B73FE9.jpeg
    371.5 KB · Views: 60
I regularly check my birds for lice/mites. I’ve never seen anything on them. Recently, while collecting eggs, I saw very small, fast moving bugs on a couple eggs in the nest box. I freaked out, checked my birds—nothing on them. That night I went into the coop with a flashlight and saw a lot of these bugs crawling on the roosts and walls. I checked the birds. Nothing. I checked under the roosts for blood smears. Nothing. I went ahead and treated the birds and coop with Elector PSP. I saw more bugs last night on the roosts, but still nothing on the birds. I also saw these same bugs crawling al over my compost pile about a month or 2 ago. I plan on treating again, at 5 day intervals. I’m also planning on using sulfur in the coop and dust bathing areas. So, what are these bugs?? I know they’re not lice. It seems they *should be* Northern fowl mites or red roost mites. But they don’t seem to be biting my birds. Any help greatly appreciated!
Hi,
I just found out about sulfur and am thinking of using it for mites. Has it been successful for you?

Back
Top Bottom