Are these Silkie Roos?

asorensen

In the Brooder
8 Years
Feb 9, 2011
Milton, Florida
I was told these were silkie Roosters but the more I read the more I am not sure. If they are what type exactly are they? Thanks
79527_162.jpg

79527_031_800x533.jpg

the white one I can't really see very well what kind of comb does he have? it looks like a mutation between a silkie and a Cochin. If it has a straight comb then its just a Cochin
the second one its a regular silkie cross. Carries silki genes but not a full silkie.

They could both be half-Silkies. Interesting feathering on the first one--a very understated tail. What color are his comb and wattles, and his skin? Our half-Silkies all had combs and wattles that were more purple than red, and skin that was dark in color.

Quote:
The white Roo has a straight comb and it is red. The other Roo has a dark redish comb that looks like a bumpy type cone with some darker areas on it. Now tell me more about this silkie cross, does that mean he will throw silkie babies if he is with a silkie hen?

Ah, maybe. Meaning that half of the babies will be homozygous for the silkie-feathering gene, and will have silkie feathering, and half of them will be heterozygous like their papa and have normal feathering. A silky-feathered, three-quarters-silky offspring might look fairly like a regular silky, but color and conformation will be off, and the comb might be as well. I tried crossing my half-silky roo with a full silky hen, but it was like some kind of curse: every one of the four chicks came to some awful end or another before they had reached their juvenile plumage. So I don't know what they would have looked like as adults. I think they all had the fifth toe and dark skin coloration.

Too, it's unusual for a half-silky to have a straight red comb; there's a chance that the white roo is a little less than 50% silky. Hard to say! That's the fun thing about genetics: they don't always do what we expect them to.

Quote:
Yeah agree with you!
I have a silkie that I believe might be the product of crossing a full silkie with a silkie cross, she is full silkie feathered dark skin and 5 toes but shes got a straight comb. Altho all of her off pring when crossed with a full silkie roo came out to all regular looking silkie chicks!

Back
Top Bottom