Are these silkies to young to guess at? Gender and quality - pic heavy

possumhunter

Songster
10 Years
Jan 6, 2010
These are 3 of my Christmas babies. So they are about 2.5 months old. I'm not sure if they are too young to guess still. I'm still new at silkies, so I'm still trying to learn what I'm looking for. If you are up for guessing, I would appreciate it!

Here is Bella (girl I think). I think she has the best fluff out of all my birds, but not the best coloring, imo (but what do I know!)

silkies0003.jpg

silkies0004.jpg

silkies0005.jpg

silkies0006.jpg

This is un-named (think its a boy). Look at that bad hair! His eyes are the wrong color. I actually love the color, but I know they are all wrong. But he has the best coloring, imo.

silkies0008.jpg

silkies0007.jpg

silkies0009.jpg

silkies0011.jpg

silkies0012.jpg

This is Ellie (think it's a girl). Her color seems 'muddy' to me. Not sure if that is bad. And she has a curled toe and I don't know if it was a hatch issue or genetics

silkies0013.jpg

silkies0017.jpg

silkies0016.jpg

silkies0020.jpg

silkies0022.jpg

Quote:
Thank you! Do you think her coloring is okay? Seems to me like she should have more splash to her, but I don't know...

I'm gonna have to guess another pullet. But, those Silkies can trick you pretty easily. Her toes have really good spacing. I would make her a splint for that one toe and see if you can get it to straighten out.

It is really hard to tell at 2.5 months...I have a white cockerel that I showed as a pullet and it did really good. A couple of months later it crowed...prettiest boy I have
wink.png
Love splashes!!

Quote:
I will try that again. I splinted (with a bandaid) when she was a bit younger but it didn't seem to help. I may not have had it on long enough. It is actually the nubby toe next to that toe that is causing that toe to curl. The nubby toe is bent over and I'm not sure if it can be fixed.

It is really hard to tell at 2.5 months...I have a white cockerel that I showed as a pullet and it did really good. A couple of months later it crowed...prettiest boy I have wink Love splashes!!

LOL...I guess i will just have to be patient! Maybe chickens aren't such a good thing for someone that has as little patience as I do
smile.png

Thanks for the imput!​

Back
Top Bottom