are these symptoms of a broken leg or wing?

Germaine_11.20

Songster
10 Years
Jun 6, 2009
Idaho
Hi,

I am at my wits end of what to do to help my pullet who is about 5 months old and an Orpington.

I can't figure out if it is a broken wing or leg. I found her a few weeks ago lying on her side in the coop. I don't know what happened to cause her to go down because I had been on vacation and found her like this when I got back. Also over vacation I lost alot of birds due to a fox. I think she may have tried to get away and was injured.

I have her isolated and she will eat and drink fine. But when she tries to stand she will stumble a little and drop her right wing.

She can stand up (but prefers not to) and when she does her left wing is close to her body and her right wing is "out" I don't know how to describe it any different. It just is "away" from her body rather that close to it.

When she lying down, which is almost always, it is also "away" from her body.

I thought at first that she had a broken leg because she just wouldn't walk, but now I am leaning toward a broken wing.

I also tried to vet tape the wings to her body but within an hour the tape was up around her neck an I had to take it off.

Any advice, help would be highly appreciated. Thank you.

The only thing I can think of to do for her is manipulate that wing and leg or feel it gently to see if you can tell what has been injured. Maybe it's both. Maybe she puts her wing out to protect the injured leg, or maybe it's her ribs?

That's where I'd start......

Thank you. I did but can't really feel anything. She get upset and tries to get away when I touch anywhere and I am afraid of doing more damage than help.

When I took off the vet tape, I did feel a "pop" I couldn't tell where it came from on her but I think it was the wing. I don't know it I rebroke it or if it was my imagination.

Oh gosh, I never thought about ribs?????????????????????????

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom