Are these vulture hocks?

PippinChicken

Songster
Oct 28, 2017
I have two brahma pullets (about 6 months old according to the breeder, but they are considerably smaller than my 5 month old brahmas so I'm hoping that's not accurate) with pretty different leg feathers. One looks like all my others have, but the other has longer feathers around her hocks. Are these the start of vulture hocks? I included pictures with both pullets for comparison and marked the one in question. They aren't stiff like flight feathers so I'm hoping they're just growing in faster than her lower leg/foot feathers, but I've managed to avoid vulture hocks so far so I'm not positive I would recognize them.
20181016_081523.jpg

20181016_081939.jpg

20181016_081909.jpg

I don't see vulture hocks, just ones that don't have enough feathers. Check out @speckledhen and her Brahma threads to see some good looking Brahma.

Thank you for the reply! That's great that it doesn't look like the beginnings of vulture hocks. Yes, I admit I was a bit disappointed with these girls and one reason was how sparse the feathering on the lower legs was compared to similar aged girls that I have from a different line. They do have quite a few pin feathers so I'm hoping they'll fill out more as they mature.

Appreciate the kinds words about my Brahmas, Lisa. As for vulture hocks, if the feathers are soft, not hard, stiff feathers, they're not vulture hocks. Over the pond, those are acceptable and if you watch videos from say, Holland and Pakistan, you'll see lots and lots of vulture hocks. I know that many hatchery Brahmas have them, but of course, they're a DQ for the standard here in the U.S.

Appreciate the kinds words about my Brahmas, Lisa. As for vulture hocks, if the feathers are soft, not hard, stiff feathers, they're not vulture hocks. Over the pond, those are acceptable and if you watch videos from say, Holland and Pakistan, you'll see lots and lots of vulture hocks. I know that many hatchery Brahmas have them, but of course, they're a DQ for the standard here in the U.S.

Thank you for the information! I wasn't sure if they are always very stiff or if there's some variation, and my paranoia could talk me into thinking they maybe feel slightly stiffer than everyone else's... but still able to be bent and nowhere near as stiff as flight feathers.

Back
Top Bottom