Are they alive?

michickenwrangler

To Finish Is To Win
11 Years
Jun 8, 2008
NE Michigan
I put my eggs in the 'bator Saturday morning. I tried candling them last night (Wed.) I could see kind of a faint blob but not much else. Was that just the yolk? Should I be seeing more? They are brown shelled eggs. This is also my first time.

With darker eggs it is easier to tell if they are growing if you wait longer, try again at Day 10 or 12. You should be able to see movement then.

After tons of hatches, I've learned to be patient and not to candle before day 7...AT THE EARLIEST!! Then I only candle one more time at day 14 to make sure they are all about the same development. Personally, I don't candle anymore after that.

It's just to easy to second guess and take something out that has a "blood ring" (for example) that is really the veins forming.
wink.png

I can't see much in my brown and dark green eggs anyway. I've heard it's possible with enough light, but I haven't had much luck myself.

Try again at 10-14 days and you should be able to tell that there is "something" in there taking up all the space.

The three dark eggs that I tossed out at 12days were "sloshy" looking as I moved the egg over the light and they didn't have much in them -- compared to the ones that have developing chick inside you can't see much in there because the chick is blocking the light.

Back
Top Bottom