Are they boys or girls!?

lizi.beth915

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 6, 2011
Harford County, MD
So, I have 7 straight run Easter Eggers & 1 speckled sussex that I got from a local breeder.
They're probably about 5-6 weeks old now.
HOW/WHEN CAN I SEX THEM?
I have 2-3 whose combs started to turn red, though... So, I'm guessing that means they're boys?

I have no idea, since my first group was sexed before I got them at the hatchery...
but once my camera is all charged up, I'll post some pictures. :)

Thanks,
Liz

Easter Eggers are only hard to sex for a, well, some percentage of people, don't know what it is.
lol.png

Once they're mostly feathered out, show us some pics. I can sex most EE's just by the color.
smile.png

My cousin taught me this trick: you can only do this when they are 2-3 days old though. If you look at their wings and they seem to be growing in layers, like every other feather is "in the front" then you've got yourself a rooster! If they aren't layered, then you've got a pullet. My cousin said that she's gotten it right each time and was able to help me identify the gender of my chicks.

Welp.. Idk if these pictures will help. & they wouldn't stay still, so I had to hold them & take the picture. lol :)
But, here's the whole gang:

102755_dscf5621.jpg

1. Einstein

102755_dscf5604.jpg

2. Rick (pretty sure he's a boy?)

102755_dscf5601.jpg

3. Sonny

102755_dscf5599.jpg

4. Squirt (I think he's a boy, too?)

102755_dscf5586.jpg

5. Frosty

102755_dscf5583.jpg

6. Poachie

102755_dscf5573.jpg

7. Lilly

102755_dscf5562.jpg

8. Linc (the one up front & our only SS)

&& thats them!

Last edited:
&& no, I don't make my chickies go thirsty. I refill it 2-3 times a day... they just keep knocking their water over like in that last picture. lol. Didn't want anyone to think bad of me, now that I'm looking back over my post. Lol
tongue.png

There are eight:

1. Hen
2. Roo
3. Hen
4. ???, but maybe Roo
5. Hen
6. Hen
7. ??? (Looks like a Welsummer mix and so feathered out already...maybe the comb is big for HER age too).
8. Roo

Thank you. & I have no idea. The guy we got them all from said they were americaunas.. but after reading this site.. I'm like.. umm... no, they're not... Half of them don't even have the right type of comb.. So I guess it's possible. lol

Back
Top Bottom