Are they just playing or actually fighting? And at what point do I need to separate them?

Blueeyez

Songster
Nov 19, 2016
Of my 14 six week old chicks, I have 3 for sure cockerels so far. Of those three, two of them are been having a lot of staring competitions... Lol these stating competitions often then lead to them flaring out there neck feathers and jumping on each other. It doesn't go on long and no one seems to be getting injured at all. They have been doing it since they were week old chicks and its been cute until now that I'm starting to worry maybe they aren't just playing..... I'm not sure at what point I need to separate them or get rid of one. Also, any reasons why is it just these two and NEVER the other cockerel?! Thanks

My Silkie and one of my Sebrights go at it beak and claw several times a day. Sounds like war - but there's never any blood, and they snuggle up to sleep together afterwards! Just play. One time the Silkie - she's a week older - stepped on the Sebright's foot while they were tousling, the Sebright let out a shriek and hid under the Silkie's chest peeping. No wounds, just hurt feelings!

Okay, good to hear! Guess I can keep laughing and thinking its cute without the guilt of "what if there not just playing though?!"..... Lol

Eventually, those cockerels will reach sexual maturity. And it will be long before your pullets do. At that time, you will need to separate them from the pullets. It's not unusual for cockerels to gang up on the weakest pullet in the flock. They will hold her down and repeatedly breed her, perhaps while one attacks from the front. They will harass your pullets non stop, and terrorize them all day long.

Back
Top Bottom