are they nocturnal

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by mjclark, Feb 22, 2009.

1. mjclark

mjclark New Egg

Mar 31, 2008
    Hi,
    Are ducks nocturnal? My 4 don't seem to sleep much.

I also feed them at night(when it's dark) so the ravens don't come and steal the food.

They are definitely different than hens.
    and funner to watch. (if that's a word)[​IMG]
    Monica

2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Mine aren't nocturnal, but noises in the night will wake them...and the do get up really early.

3. rlhbond

rlhbond Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    Mocksville, NC
    Do you have outside lights on at night?

4. streemers

streemers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2008
    port orchard,WA
    ducks are not nocturnal. but they do get up in the night off and on. they also get up really early:)

5. fowlmood

fowlmood Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2009
    northern Michigan
    Mine settle down for the night. I think instincts cause ducks to be light sleepers since they really have no way of naturally keeping away from predators. Chickens can roost but ducks will sleep on the ground or in the water. Any slight noise or movement will always wake my ducks.

6. TheDuckCrew

TheDuckCrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    i agree. mine aren't nocturnal, but they take lots of naps during the day. they also wake up really easy and the boys will sound the alarm. when they hear something, you can tell, you can hear the three boys honking and honking and honking.

7. chickenboy95

chickenboy95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2008
    se ohio
    well mine seem to be nocturnal. i have 1 pole light outside and 1 day they didnt want to go in and i just left them outside for the night because it was nive and warm. now i know that wasnt the smartest thing to do but they didnt want to go in so i didnt make them. anyway they where laying down under the pole light out by the coop and when i got up REALLY REALLY early to check on them they where on the other side of the yard just walking around. my guinea seems to be nocturnal too. oh and it wasnt light outside when i got up to see if the ducks where ok they where just foraging around on the other side of the yard like 300-400 yards away from the pole light.

i know my geese are nocturnal though they are always walking around at night.

hope this helps, chickenboy95

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by