are they nocturnal

mjclark

Hatching
11 Years
Mar 31, 2008
Hi,
Are ducks nocturnal? My 4 don't seem to sleep much.

I also feed them at night(when it's dark) so the ravens don't come and steal the food.

They are definitely different than hens.
and funner to watch. (if that's a word)
wink.png

Monica

Mine settle down for the night. I think instincts cause ducks to be light sleepers since they really have no way of naturally keeping away from predators. Chickens can roost but ducks will sleep on the ground or in the water. Any slight noise or movement will always wake my ducks.

i agree. mine aren't nocturnal, but they take lots of naps during the day. they also wake up really easy and the boys will sound the alarm. when they hear something, you can tell, you can hear the three boys honking and honking and honking.

well mine seem to be nocturnal. i have 1 pole light outside and 1 day they didnt want to go in and i just left them outside for the night because it was nive and warm. now i know that wasnt the smartest thing to do but they didnt want to go in so i didnt make them. anyway they where laying down under the pole light out by the coop and when i got up REALLY REALLY early to check on them they where on the other side of the yard just walking around. my guinea seems to be nocturnal too. oh and it wasnt light outside when i got up to see if the ducks where ok they where just foraging around on the other side of the yard like 300-400 yards away from the pole light.

i know my geese are nocturnal though they are always walking around at night.

hope this helps, chickenboy95

Back
Top Bottom