are they okay?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by lorihadams, Oct 29, 2009.

1. lorihadams

lorihadams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2008
    virginia
    Okay, newbie here, I need reassurance please.

I have broilers that are 5 weeks old. They just don't seem to be that big. I estimate that they are somewhere around 1-2 pounds. They just seem small to me to be butchered in 3 weeks. I have 29 in a tractor that I move every day. I feed them 12 hrs on and 12 hours off. I started them on Dumor chick starter and switched them to Purina flock raiser at about 2 1/2 weeks. They get all the food they can eat with some grit. I guess my question is, are they where they are supposed to be? I just worry that they won't be big enough to butcher at 8 weeks. Thanks!

2. Hippie Chickie

Hippie Chickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    Port Orchard
    You need to switch the feed. I believe they need to be on grower/finisher. It needs to be a higher protein than flock raiser.

3. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

They need to be on BROILER FEED. Forget the starter/grower/finisher- broilers don't need any of it. Straight up broiler feed, with at least 20% protein, from day one til butchering. I'm not sure what your results are going to be switching to it at this point, but it will definitely be better than not switching.

4. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I had the same problem with some that I ordered from McMurray. They are now 9 weeks old, and I may have a few that are 2 pounds...maybe. They refunded our money, and eventually shipping. Still don't know what they sent us.

Good luck!

Shelly

5. jjparke

jjparke Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Boise
    I agree with others- get them switched to broiler grower asap. They are in the stride right now. This is the time they need the best feed possible because from here out is when they gain the most weight. Good luck.

6. lorihadams

lorihadams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2008
    virginia
    I switched them to 24% and mixed a cup of cracked corn in with it. They seem to be plumping up now......thanks to everyone! I actually had one get by me when I closed the door to the tractor and it followed me all the way across the yard for something to eat!

7. EGGTASKTIC

EGGTASKTIC Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    WESTERN PA
    The cooler weather will slow them down also. When raised in a commercial setting they optimize everything to get the bigest bang for their buck.

This time of the year the burn alot of calories keeping warm.

Glad to see you are getting results from switching feed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by